Youngs AIPA help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would maintain the fermentation temperature fro 2 days then crash cool for 2 days.
I would not recommend putting the AIPA in a PB. They are not best suited to the highish carbing levels for an AIPA. Put an ale or stout in your PB though and it will be fine.
Hi terrym, it's a 10 litre mini keg not pb.

Is it a 10 litre plastic keg or a stainless steel one like Dark Farm sells?

If the former (plastic) then follow Terry's advice. If it's a stainless steel one, then you could keg half the kit. I have some Dark Farm 5 litre kegs and use them for beers like this

Is it a 10 litre plastic keg or a stainless steel one like Dark Farm sells?

If the former (plastic) then follow Terry's advice. If it's a stainless steel one, then you could keg half the kit. I have some Dark Farm 5 litre kegs and use them for beers like this
10 litre kegland, how would you carb?

I use the 16g bulbs rather than a gas bottle so it is expensive to force carb a 5 litre keg - it can use 1 or 2 bulbs. I batch prime my whole brew and use 20 bottles and 2 kegs. I then condition as normal as I'm in no hurry to dive into the beer. I'm really still experimenting with using the kegs.

If you use a gas bottle or sodastream bottle, you could just keg without priming and then force carb the keg.

I use the 16g bulbs rather than a gas bottle so it is expensive to force carb a 5 litre keg - it can use 1 or 2 bulbs. I batch prime my whole brew and use 20 bottles and 2 kegs. I then condition as normal as I'm in no hurry to dive into the beer. I'm really still experimenting with using the kegs.

If you use a gas bottle or sodastream bottle, you could just keg without priming and then force carb the keg.
Do you purge then condition for 2 weeks then after that carb, or carb then condition

What I have done (rightly or wrongly) is fill the keg up to the shoulder after batch priming and cap the keg with a lid with a pressure release valve. Leave for 2 weeks then take the lid off and attach the tap and regulator.

I don't purge the keg before filling and have to lift the prv a couple of times to take off the cap before attaching the tap.

By leaving it to condition, the beer in the keg carbs up itself from priming sugar. I have found I can dispense a 5 litre keg with 1 co2 bulb doing it this way. But, as I said, I'm still experimenting and open to suggestions

What I have done (rightly or wrongly) is fill the keg up to the shoulder after batch priming and cap the keg with a lid with a pressure release valve. Leave for 2 weeks then take the lid off and attach the tap and regulator.

I don't purge the keg before filling and have to lift the prv a couple of times to take off the cap before attaching the tap.

By leaving it to condition, the beer in the keg carbs up itself from priming sugar. I have found I can dispense a 5 litre keg with 1 co2 bulb doing it this way. But, as I said, I'm still experimenting and open to suggestions
I'm lost with this carbing game, I did a festival new zealand pilsner and split it into 10 litres into bottles and 10 litres into a corny style keg. Set regulator to 14psi in the shed and after 2 weeks it's still flat.. I could batch prime but how much do you lose when pouring your first pint due to sediment or would you lose some anyway. If you force carb when do you condition your beer?????

Using my method, I lost none to sediment last time (probably luck as there should be some sediment although I don't get much sediment in bottles either).

If you force carb (ie no priming sugar) then there is no need to condition, you can drink straight away.

If it's still flat after 2 weeks, there may be all sorts of reasons.

Is the lid on your keg sealed properly?

Did you use any priming sugar? (If not, then you need to pump co2 into the keg for the beer to absorb and then leave before serving/ force carb or add priming sugar, reseal and leave for 2 weeks).

What is the temperature in your shed? The rate co2 is absorbed depends on temperature.

Can you hear the gas going into your keg when you open the regulator?

If it's flat then I 'think' you could also ramp up the pressure when dispensing which will give some head on your beer when served but this will disappear quickly.

Have the bottles carbed up or are they flat as well?

As i say, I experiment with the set up to see what works for me

Latest posts

Back