Young's American IPA Kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhead23

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Young's American Oaked Rum Ale. Which has turned out rather well. So on Saturday afternoon I started a Young's American IPA Kit.
Now the bubbler on the Oaked Rum brew went off like lightning. How it is now Tuesday evening and not had a single bubble on this IPA.
The lid seems to be sealed firmly and i think the bubbler also appears to be firmly in place.
I am worried that nothing has happened yet. I assumed it would have started after two days.
Am I worrying needlessly?
The SG was 1.053. I know I could test again to see if fermentation has started, but don't know if it would detectable yet. Plus I'd prefer to minimise and infection risk with unnecessary contact.
What are your thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

As I recall this kit yeast is a bit slow to start.
However two days in and it should be going well by now. I assume the kit was well within date and you didn't pitch the yeast at too high a temperature
Take a peek under lid and if there is the beginning of a krausen forming it should be OK.
And don't rely on your airlock. The lid may look sealed but it may not be and CO2 can bypass the airlock.
Finally I assume that you are fermenting above 18-19*C. If not you need to up the temperature.
There is an extensive thread here for any other info about this kit.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45221

Probably should have looked under the hood first shouldn't I!

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20180327_200132.jpg
    20180327_200132.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 86
Yep that looks alright
As Terrym said never trust the airlock to show fermenting they are strange things and you beer can be fermenting quite strongly and not a bubbling in sight

Just after opinions.
Started on Saturday 24th. Thought I'd do a first gravity test and taste today. Original Gravitu was 1.054 and Gravity is now at 1.018 so progressing as expected I think. Pour sample into a clean glass and tasted. Well, the smell is like sweaty dutch cheese, like Edam. Is this normal? Doesn't taste too bad considering not carved and no hop addition yet. Just curious as to this smell.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180404_191649.jpg
    20180404_191649.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 37
Sounds completely normal, I would just leave this alone for at least 2 weeks. I have this kit cold crashing as we speak, it was definitely one of those kits that took a long time to ferment, mine chugged away for 17 days before it slowed and I dry hopped.

Let it do what it's going to do. I give it two weeks in the FV then start bottling and take gravity reading for my records during bottling and have taste in the trial jar at that point. I've always found the best thing to do once the yeast has gone in is leave it alone, I only trouble it to dry hop.

Latest posts

Back