Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do one of these kits next in a Coopers FV, is there enough headroom for the fermentation? or am I going to have an overflow.

If it's a 25lt bin then you will likely get overflow, I would go ahead and put in a "blow off tube" and forget about the airlock personally.

Update on mine. Today is day 14 in the FV, SG is 1007, so I've dropped the hops in, smells amazing! Also impressed with how the sample tastes too, this is gonna be a nice one:thumb:
As kits go, it aint half bad.

Mine's been in the barrel for a month and it's coming onto condition nicely. Not fully clear yet but the citrus flavours and the hops are very nicely balanced. It has restored my beer mojo, so much so that I might get another once the wine is out of the brew fridge and bottle it for long term storage.

Mine's been in the barrel for a month and it's coming onto condition nicely. Not fully clear yet but the citrus flavours and the hops are very nicely balanced. It has restored my beer mojo, so much so that I might get another once the wine is out of the brew fridge and bottle it for long term storage.
As soon as it clears its ready to drink.
The hop flavours from the dry hop will start to diminish from about six weeks in.
It is not a beer to keep.

As soon as it clears its ready to drink.
The hop flavours from the dry hop will start to diminish from about six weeks in.
It is not a beer to keep.

Thats good news..'cos Im drinking one right now:lol:

I bottled mine today...first ever brew so i hope it's gone well. I just have to be patient and wait and see...It smelt beautiful.

A month in the barrel and it is drinking well. Hoppy, citrus, still not clear but that doesn't matter. Only drinking one a night so I can't comment on what its is like as a session, but at 6.5%+ you wouldn't need many.

I barrelled mine on 20th March, which is SWMBO's birthday and today I declare it clear and drinking well, which by coincidence is MY birthday - 51 with a mental age of a 22 YO. Now enjoying a shot of Aberfeldy 12 YO which my brother left me on his last visit.

I barrelled mine on 20th March, which is SWMBO's birthday and today I declare it clear and drinking well, which by coincidence is MY birthday - 51 with a mental age of a 22 YO. Now enjoying a shot of Aberfeldy 12 YO which my brother left me on his last visit.

Many happy returns.

Are you of the age where they stop bothering to put the correct number of candles on the birthday cake?

I've succumbed to curiosity and decided to try a bottle, after being in a warm place for two weeks and the fridge for 3 days.

I'm really happy with the result. Being my first brew, I didn't know what to expect. I'm absolutely delighted!

20160508_192644.jpg

This was my first brew too and it didn't last long in the pressure barrel.

To date it's the only kit I've done twice (bottled the 2nd batch) and I'm tempted to do again despite my move to AG (although I'd put it in a PB rather than tie up my bottles).

Enjoy.

Feeling a bit less happy than my previous post on this thread. It's been in the shed since last Friday and it tastes nowhere as nice as it did last week, which is a bit disheartening.

I'm just going to hope it improves with time as others have suggested on here.

Feeling a bit less happy than my previous post on this thread. It's been in the shed since last Friday and it tastes nowhere as nice as it did last week, which is a bit disheartening.

I'm just going to hope it improves with time as others have suggested on here.

Probably just the one bottle, I had a couple of underwhelming ones but the majority were amazing

I've now tried 4 bottles that have conditioned in both a warm place in my house and in the shed and they've all had the same problem. The hop flavour is hardly there at all and there's a quite unpleasant aftertaste. It's fair to say I'm disappointed up to now. If they'd all tasted like the original two I would be really happy.

I've now tried 4 bottles that have conditioned in both a warm place in my house and in the shed and they've all had the same problem. The hop flavour is hardly there at all and there's a quite unpleasant aftertaste. It's fair to say I'm disappointed up to now. If they'd all tasted like the original two I would be really happy.

I find it changes week by week. My barrel stuff has started to clear up now and was quite an enjoyable pint last night, not overbearing but a nice grapefruity flavour to it (mine is the APA though) whereas a couple of wks ago when I tried a sample bottle it tasted like the hoppy flavour had died away

I did an AIPA last year so I knew what to expect at the beginning of the primary, and have just started another one.
When I looked at the yeast this time and noted '20g' I was a bit hesitant to chuck it all in - didn't it used to come with 15g of yeast- but in the end went for it. I brewed short to 22 litres not 23 litres hoping to check some of the excess krausen effect. I brew at 19-20*C
So at day 2 the blow off tube blocked and my Youngs FV lid leaked and I decided to just let the krausen escape from the lid and control the mess.
At day 3 the krausen has now died back a bit.
So what with loss of yeast from the blow off tube, the yeast that oozed out of the FV and yeast I scraped from the lid and chucked, I have lost quite lot of yeast.
Normally you only need about 13g or so of dried yeast for a healthy brew, and if you do Coopers kits like I do, their 7g packets are perfectly adequate.
So my question is why do Youngs give you a 20g packet of yeast :eek:

Mine now looks like this...similar to the look of scrumpy but with a head. It also tastes even worse than my previous posts. No hop flavour but with an awful aftertaste.

If someone can help explain what's happened or how to improve it, I'd really appreciate it.

20160524_182232.jpg

Mine now looks like this...similar to the look of scrumpy but with a head. It also tastes even worse than my previous posts. No hop flavour but with an awful aftertaste.

If someone can help explain what's happened or how to improve it, I'd really appreciate it.
Mine was crystal clear...but jeez it was bitter,,,,..and I like hops!!

Back