Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pope
The beer in the photo doesn't look crystal clear to me, and if so you may be getting a taste of yeast which can sometimes be a bit unpleasant.
If this is the case you can either leave it longer to clear, or store a few in the fridge for a few days.
My recollection of the AIPA I did last year was that it took a while to clear, but when it did it was ready to drink, and then didn't improve with keeping

is there a chance that the excessive amount of yeast is causing fusel alcohols?
john palmer mentions this is the case with too much and leaving beer on the trub too long

With an IPA, as soon as they're fully carbed. Provided you're storing them at 70 to carb, my general rule with bottle carbing is 1 week = meh, 2 weeks = passable, 3-4 weeks = done. I'd crack one open now and see how it is; if it seems off, wait another week and check again.
Once it's fully carbonated, an IPA is only going to get worse with age. I find that after the first month or two you can really notice the drop-off. On the other hand, some maltier/darker beers will keep improving for quite a while.

..this is a tad depressing. would more dry hops help?

is there a chance that the excessive amount of yeast is causing fusel alcohols?
john palmer mentions this is the case with too much and leaving beer on the trub too long

I wouldn't know, this is my first ever brew and don't know what fusel alcohols taste like.

With an IPA, as soon as they're fully carbed. Provided you're storing them at 70 to carb, my general rule with bottle carbing is 1 week = meh, 2 weeks = passable, 3-4 weeks = done. I'd crack one open now and see how it is; if it seems off, wait another week and check again.
Once it's fully carbonated, an IPA is only going to get worse with age. I find that after the first month or two you can really notice the drop-off. On the other hand, some maltier/darker beers will keep improving for quite a while.

They've been conditioning for 4-5 weeks now and apart from the first two I drank, they've been pretty bad. The one I opened last night was so bad that I couldn't drink it.

Pope

I know youve prob been asked this loads but did you sterilize and sanitize all equipment? Being youre first brew these things can be overlooked.

:-(

Pope

I know youve prob been asked this loads but did you sterilize and sanitize all equipment? Being youre first brew these things can be overlooked.

:-(

I did clean and sterilise everything, but I have been thinking that the beer is infected somehow. The thing is, I've never seen or tasted an infected beer so I've got nothing to compare it to.

Either way, it's pretty disheartening. I hope the rest of my brews turn out better.

What is the aftertaste like? A kind of burnt,sulphur taste?

Burnt i wouldn't say so.

I would describe it as very tart or like cider that's been left overnight in a glass. As a side note, the mouth feel is very fizzy, also like a cider.

Do you get a tcp oir band aid aftertaste.. I think this happens with VWP which is a good cleaner but you need to rinse throroughly like 3 times as it can give a funny medicinal taste

TCP is actually a good shout, very similar taste. I actually thought I had been thorough with my rinsing off...the worrying thing is all the beers I've listed in my signature which I've started I've used VWP to sterilise the equipment. I'm probably going to invest in some Starsan before I start my planned beers.

Hi Pope

This is a gorgeous beer and identical to Devil's backbone American IPA as sold in Weatherspoons.

With these stronger brews I always start with less water ie 4 gallons, wait for the initial explosion of fermenting froth to die down then after a week top up with water to the required amount.

Your brew is ruined by exposure to air and bacteria.

I make brew after brew of perfect pub quality beer from kits. its a science brewing but the results are fantastic if done simply and properly.

Follow the tips i have posted below to make fantastic beer again and again

Russ

Youngs American IPA
Go to Weatherspoons and try a pint of Their Devil's Backbone American IPA @�2.89 a pint.

Its identical to the kit @57p a pint.

heres the secret to premium home made beer (kits)

Obviously freshly cleaned and sterilised fermenter,

make up kit as instructed,

Place a heater belt around FV to maintain a constant temperature, Now.

LEAVE IT ALONE! that's the first tip, for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Do not open it, take out samples, anything. Just leave it bubbling and then when its stopped leave it still.

The reason i say dont touch it is by disturbing the layer of co2 on the top, air can get to the brew and introduce bacteria or dust or anything and its really, really important to maintain that sterile environment. This is where so many go wrong and ruin brew after brew and then give up having never ever experienced decent pub quality home made beer.

After 4 weeks, freshly sterilise your pressure barrel, personally i find bottles are just a pain. Carefully syphon the brew into the barrel (or bottles) running the beer down the side so as not to splash. Splashing again introduces air into the brew and any bacteria in the air is now in the brew.

Add the priming sugar as per instructions and fit the heater belt on the barrel and leave for a week.

After that remove the belt and forget it for at least 3 months to condition.

Ok have a sneaky taste to check its presurised ok and it will taste ok but fresh.

After 3 months it will be amazing.

beer will keep for months as long as it is pressurised and no air can get to it and out of direct sunlight. I am currently drinking a barrel of American Oaked Rum Ale which has been in the barrel for at least 6 months and that has improved dramatically to a very smooth beer and is much better than when it was only 3 months old. Two of my mates absolutely loves it and cant believe its a "beer kit" until they watched me pour it from the king keg top tap barrel.

Hope that helps

As I understand things IPA.. stands for Indian Pale Ale and was made originally for our troops stationed in India, so it was stored on a ship for several months..its strength and hopped characteristic kept it it fresh during that LONG voyage and then it was transported to our troops in India who were stationed in the cool north to the dry heat of the south...so personally don't see age as:whistle: an issue...unless you are going to India via the Poles

well there you have it. a history lesson and how to make a hoppy beer for September in consecutive order.

TCP is actually a good shout, very similar taste. I actually thought I had been thorough with my rinsing off...the worrying thing is all the beers I've listed in my signature which I've started I've used VWP to sterilise the equipment. I'm probably going to invest in some Starsan before I start my planned beers.

I maybe use it in a lesser concentration - 1 - 1.5 table spoon per 3-4 gallons. But I have never had a problem rising once.

Hi Pope

This is a gorgeous beer and identical to Devil's backbone American IPA as sold in Weatherspoons.

With these stronger brews I always start with less water ie 4 gallons, wait for the initial explosion of fermenting froth to die down then after a week top up with water to the required amount.

Your brew is ruined by exposure to air and bacteria.

I make brew after brew of perfect pub quality beer from kits. its a science brewing but the results are fantastic if done simply and properly.

Follow the tips i have posted below to make fantastic beer again and again

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your response. Without meaning to sound like I'm arguing with your experience, what makes you think that the beer is infected? Like I said earlier, the first two beers I had of this batch tasted fine. Also, I put one in the fridge last night which I'm drinking now. It has cleared a lot and tastes better, if not quite as nice as I'd hope.

I'm not sure how it could have been too exposed to bacteria or air, given that I sterilised all equipment and had the lid on the fv for duration of the fermentation period.

I followed the instructions to brew this batch...including using a heat belt for a constant temperature.

Also, another member seems to think that it could be an a taste from the steriliser I use rather than an infection. What are your thoughts on that?

Pope
Did you brew with tap water?
If so what does it normally taste like?
Sometimes tap water can taste of TCP.
Thankfully mine doesn't and so I can brew with it :thumb:
And finally you have to be really unlucky or do something daft to have a brew go bad.

Back