Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All bottled on day 21 - 62 bottles , 6.1% - smelling and tasting good. I am storing them in my boiler cupboard - I checked the temp today and it seems to be around 18 degrees - will this be high enough for carbonation to take place? - theres not really a warmer place in the house - I used a brew belt when fermenting but obviously no good now I've bottled .
Yes.
It will just take a bit longer that's all.

Kegged/Bottled mine last night - 19 days in fermenter, 1.054 to 1.006 = 6.3% I thought it was off when I opened it as it looked like a green caludron (is only my 2nd brew) but a quick google search assured me this looked OK. Hope bag had come undone & so lots of floaty bits which is a shame, but to be fair it tasted great, really great and much nice than my 1st brew (Woodford's Wherry) at the sane stage.

I did 7/8 bottles and then left the rest in the keg which I had used as a batch primer. So now leave it in warm for a couple of weeks, transfer to garage and then pull off the odd sample from the keg before christmas. the bottles are very cloudy but I am heartened by the Wherry which has cleared beqautifully and as long as I leave the last bit in the bottle is super clear and tastes great. It does seem (as people keep saying) that patience is the key! Festival Pilsner next

Hi Guys,
I'm going to leave my bottles carbonating for another week but I have a question regarding conditioning......
Currently the outside temp is around fridge temp (and only going to get colder over the coming months), so in theory can I keep my bottles inside in the warm then transfer to the fridge a few days before I intend to drink? They are quite clear already to be honest but not sure if it will have any negative effect on the final product.
Gaz

Hi Guys,
I'm going to leave my bottles carbonating for another week but I have a question regarding conditioning......
Currently the outside temp is around fridge temp (and only going to get colder over the coming months), so in theory can I keep my bottles inside in the warm then transfer to the fridge a few days before I intend to drink? They are quite clear already to be honest but not sure if it will have any negative effect on the final product.
Gaz
Yes that's fine.
Its really only like keeping your beer somewhere in the house in the summer months when its warm, unless you have refrigerated beer storage for all your beers.
However if you have a cool place somewhere to store your beer after carbonation it should condition that much better. For example I move my beer from the house into my unheated garage for long term storage.
Finally if it's clearing it's a sign that the carbonation is finishing/finished. If you have PET bottles they should have firmed up.

Is it that good? Not tasted one yet. Is this regarded as the best kit IPA available?im a big fan of Punk and elvis juice. I'm gonna order a new kit this weekend but not really tasted it yet. Do I buy same again or try something else?!? Decisions decisions 🙂

Is it that good? Not tasted one yet. Is this regarded as the best kit IPA available?im a big fan of Punk and elvis juice. I'm gonna order a new kit this weekend but not really tasted it yet. Do I buy same again or try something else?!? Decisions decisions 🙂

My suggestion is to try something else. There's lots to choose from, and you can always do the AIPA again later
I actually preferred the American Pale Ale in the same range to the AIPA although there wasn't much in it, and then there's always the Festival Razorback IPA kit which is similar to the AIPA, and you should get a nylon sock thingy in the Festival kit for filtering out hops before you bottle. If you buy any of these singly without anything else ebay usually works out cheapest.

Me too pal
Love elvis, punk, gamma etc
The IPA was really good
But Cwtch knocks spots off it
Hoppier, more malt. Only think lacking is a tad of bitterness.

for a kit it's spot on for my tastes, good balance of hops (Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook) and bitterness, not one for the impatient though ! just moved on to all grain so I'll need to see if santa gets me some more fv's then I'll do this again for sure !

So its between Razorback and Cwtch next then. I think I've heard Cwtch mentioned a few times before and seems quite popular. I'll go and have a read up of them. I've got a week or so to decide now though as I've bought a 30 bottle wine kit to stock up for Xmas 👍

Right chaps, I have a bit of a situation here :-x
Leaving for work this morning and heard a massive smash...so went into the kitchen and one of my bottles had exploded!!!
I've now taken the bottles outside for two reasons. 1 because I'm hoping it will avoid any further explosions and 2, I have young kids so obviously don't want any more going while theyre about.
I'm not quite sure how to proceed now though!?
They've been carbonating for 9 days now and actually already look very clear.
Any suggestions? I really don't want my first brew to end badly.
Thanks
Gaz

How did you prime them?

Outside is probably the right decision for the time being. Hopefully it is just a rogue bottle - either not as clean, slightly over primed if you did them individually or a cracked/weak bottle.

I had a couple of gushers last time I did this kit - mostly down to the bottles with some hop debris.
An excuse to put one in the fridge and check it for quality control....

Any suggestions? I really don't want my first brew to end badly.
Thanks
Gaz
Looking back at what you told us your brew was at 1.008 for at least five days so my take on that is that the primary had finished although there was plenty of yeast still in suspension. Also FG 1.008 seemed about right given your OG and the attenuation likely from the yeast. You also told us that you had actually not used all your priming sugar.
You have had one bottle go and so wisely put the others outside for safety. But they are clear which usually means any further fermentation (and bottle pressurisation) has finished, which after 9 days in the warm is about right for carbonation itself.
I think it's either a faulty bottle like wfr42 has said , or by accident you have put two or more doses of sugar in one bottle, which has then failed.
So best thing is to carefully open another bottle outside now that they are chilled and if its a gusher, open another and if that's the same the only conclusion is that against the odds the primary had not finished and your batch of bottles are likely to be overpressurised.
Best to find out before you come back.

Cheers chaps.
I primed by adding sugar to each bottle. I've opened a bottle as suggested and was no gushing.....was just the right carbonation and tasted really good.
I actually marked the last few bottles of the batch and the one i opened was one of the last off. There is an extremely heavy build up in the bottom of the bottle!?
I think I did everything right although I did stir in the yeast( to the point of of it seemingly dissolving) rather than just sprinkle in the top.

Hello all ,
Just tested mine and it's at 1008 but there's still fermentation happening although very slightly..airlock bubbles around every 10 minutes and a few small bubbles rising in the fv. Should I leave it or dry hop...?

Cheers

Clint

Well,kit instructions say to dry hop below 1010....I've boiled my filter bag and a couple of steel spoons for weight and hopped it. I'm bothered now as the airlock has started bubbling and as previously the surface of the beer was virtually bubble free it has a nice foam covering it! Could a more vigorous fermentation have restarted? Have I ruined it?
Hmmmm....I've had a bit of a look on the Web. ..hops causing nucleation points for dissolved c02 in the beer causing it to bubble..it does seem to be slowing down now.

Latest posts

Back