Youngs Brew Buddy Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkin Escobar

Reaction score
Got myself one of the Youngs Brew Buddy kits back in september last year when Tesco had them on at £7.97, so finally got round to brewing the second can of lager that came with the kit (first one turned out pretty horrible). So as this brew is effectivley costing nothing (given the price of the starter kit) I thought I would splash out.
Ive brewed it short to 20l, added 500g of extra light DME, a 453g tin of golden syrup and got myself 100g of Amarillo hops and replaced the yeast with some S-23 Saflager. I made a hop tea with 50g and dry hopped in the secondary after 10 days for a further 5 days with the remaining 50g.
Bottled this brew up last night and despite being flat as a fart at the moment it tastes excellent, very citrusy and floral. What a difference the DME has made, the beer has good mouth feel and doesnt have the "home brew twang" ive had just using brewing sugar. Going to sit this one in the warm for two weeks/cold for two weeks then enjoy drinking this.
By far the best brew to date.

I'm drinking this now, did something similar to you but with marynka hops,light spray malt and brewing sugar . Its very nice :)

EDIT: When I say now I mean its ready now, I've not cracked open a bottle at 10:00 am although it is a brew day. :hmm:

I batch primed this brew with 100g of sugar for the 20l.
Although I want a bit of fizz, I do hate the uber amount of fizzyness in the marjority of commercial lagers.

Latest posts

Back