Young's Brewbelt compliance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrw

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wanting to prepare for the winter months and I would like to have an alternative to placing my fermenter with brew belt in a box whilst in the outside shed - I'm wondering what covering/fabric/plastic I can wrap around it without causing a fire hazard. Anyone with solutions? :wha:

have a look down B&Q and see what insulation they have on offer. Your brew belt will only give off so much heat, raising the temperature of your brew by x°C. If it is freezing outside, no amount of insulation will produce a toasty 20°C for your ales.

I guess the answer is to the do it, experiment, see how it turns out and enjoy! I will be trying something soon, but with a thermostat linked up to the heater to control the heat better than the heater alone.

Your best bet would be to use an aquarium heater/stat, I wouldn't want to run the risk of a fire from insulated brewbelt :(

I use thermawrap insulation over my brew belt with no problems . . . Its the silver coated bubble wrap insulation . . . . it's ok but is better with reflected heat than conducted . . .but a couple of camping mats sorts that out . . . plus it's shiny :D

I've used an under soil plant heating cable, fashioned into a flat coil.
The FV sits on this and is controlled by an aquarium thermostat which has a sensor probe.
Set on minimum, it holds the ferment at 19.9C - 20.5C.
This arrangement is set up in the garage without any insulation (wasteful of energy :oops:) but then I'm a bit of an idle so an so.

Cheers guys :cheers: , I've got both heater types and I'll be looking up a silver bubble wrap supplier. In regards to the immersion type what's the best scenario - to take the plug off and make an additional hole in the rubber bung and feed through or to form a slot in the bung side and seal with a waterproof sealant...any other ideas? :wha:

Just bung the combined heater/thermostat in the fv and close the lid on it, same if you have a sensor probe!

ericstd said:
Just bung the combined heater/thermostat in the fv and close the lid on it, same if you have a sensor probe!
But make sure it is properly sanitised first :thumb:

cwrw said:
Cheers guys :cheers: , I've got both heater types and I'll be looking up a silver bubble wrap supplier. In regards to the immersion type what's the best scenario - to take the plug off and make an additional hole in the rubber bung and feed through or to form a slot in the bung side and seal with a waterproof sealant...any other ideas? :wha:

If you are using a rubber bung, I've drilled a small hole next to the airlock hole. It's a b*gger to get the wire through, just use vaseline & be persistent.
Good luck
:thumb:

It's a b*gger to get the wire through, just use vaseline & be persistent.
Good luck
:thumb:
Hmm....thanks for the tip,but does sound a bit "Blue Oyster Club" in Police Academy 2 :rofl:
Many Thanks for the tip :thumb:

I use a vivarium heater under my fermenter, its insulated with 1 layer of building insulation (Silver coated type) and the with 3 layers of laminate flooring insulation all round and under the tank.

The heater came from pets at home, its real job is keeping Gekkos warm, it was about £14

Back