Your brew plans for 2018

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve decided another of my brew plans is to clean out our shed and turn it into a brew shed. It’s an 8x6 so should be big enough ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've just swapped my 8 x 6 shed for a 10 x 8. The 8 x 6 was getting a bit small for the following:
Tall larder fridge, 14 gall Chronical
Under counter fridge, SS Brewbucket.
Braumeister 20l
60 litre grain drum.
12 Cornies.
Maxi 210 chiller
Cider press
A couple of plastic storage boxes with odds and bits.

I've got to line the new shed plus I've just bought a 2.7m long commercial kitchen worktop and sink off ebay to go in. Planning to get a 199litre chest keezer if it will fit. I've got three Inkbirds already mounted in a control box so should be in business when I get home from work next week.

I am going to finish of 2017 with a version of the John Palmer stout. I have subbed Mt Hood hops in for Fuggles and added a small amount of black patent malt to the recipe. Planning to brew on NYE.

For 2018 the first two brews I have lined up (not sure which order) are a PNW Pale ale and a pilsner. The PNW will use Cascade, Willamette and Mt Hood hops and probably pale, crystal 60 and a little wheat (maybe a touch of melanoidin as well) and the Pilsner will be classic pilsner malt and saaz hops (given I live in Prague this is the easiest and cheapest brew I can do I think). I might add a smidgen of cara-pils. Any tips for either would be gratefully received.

After that I have rough ideas for an ESB and a Scottish ale. I'd also like to try the Greg Hughes patersbier...

Brewed the stout, however my home-made bucket boiler took a turn for the worst at the weekend. The hot sockets had evidently melted a little during my previous brew unnoticed and one would no longer work and I obviously had reservations about running the whole brew on the other one alone as it was on its last legs. I managed to get 17l of stout into the FV but missed my mash temp and had to add boiling water to bring it up and also missed my OG. Had to boil on one element as well so it was not rigorous which didnt help. I *don't* think that any of the bucket or sockets melted into the wort though, so it should be drinkable....

Anyway, means my brewing plans for 2018 have changed significantly. First plan is to get a new setup in place. Looking at this as an upgrade:

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-ap...Beer-Homebrew-Kit-2585W30L-Double-walled.html

Thoughts?

Cheers!

For 2018 still on dried malt extract brewing, with specialty grain additions where required.

First off is a lower alchohol (for me) EKG bitter.
Then a dark beer for xmas 2018 - a ris or a quad
a wheat beer
a galaxy hopped beer (I grabbed some when I heard about the shortage)
A saison

that should take me up to may :lol:

Plans?!? I just make it up as I go along :)

I actually do have a few things I'd like to aim for this year. Will still be kit brewing for now, dreams of having a free day on the weekend to do a mash still seems far away my kids are growing up quickly but I don't want to wish anyone's life away. I'd like to build the kegerator that I got the fridge for late last year, preferably in time for the warmer months. I'd also like to brew a wheat beer this year (probably the Festival kit) for BBQ quaffing. Also want to try some better wine kits, I do have a Beaverdale ready to do.

Graz...do a part mash with a single can kit...dead easy and not much extra kit required. ..15 litre pot from wilko a bag and a spare fv for a dunk sparge...

I plan to nail a hoegarden style wit beer, without it tasting like gone off orange juice :D My IPA's are starting to taste nice, and I think I've managed to sort out my efficiency a little in the last few brews thanks to the great advice on this forum. So the end of 2017 was a bit of a brewing success story for me, which I'm mighty pleased about.. but a long way to go and I HAVE to nail a hoegarden clone. Love the stuff, I could drink it ALL night!

I plan to nail a hoegarden style wit beer, without it tasting like gone off orange juice :D My IPA's are starting to taste nice, and I think I've managed to sort out my efficiency a little in the last few brews thanks to the great advice on this forum. So the end of 2017 was a bit of a brewing success story for me, which I'm mighty pleased about.. but a long way to go and I HAVE to nail a hoegarden clone. Love the stuff, I could drink it ALL night!

if you love hoegaarden this is the next step up....

http://www.gulpener.nl/onze-bieren/korenwolf/

I usually pick up a few up when i'm in centreparcs de kempervennen from Albert Heijn in valkenswaard :grin:

Latest posts

Back