Your plans for the year...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
What do you want to do this year in home brewing?

i want to brew -

more wine!
birch sap wine
london pride
plenty of APA's
scottish heavy

I also want to enter a few competitions, hopefully win an award! and of course, attend TST

you? :cheers:

I have some threads bookmarked with some excellent recipes.

I'm big into APA's at the moment so I will be making plenty this year. I will also experiment with yeast a bit more, growing and trying different strains :thumb:

Beer Wise
Regulars on the below rotation through out the year as and when needed
Stout
Bitter
Pale Ale

Plus as specials
Mild
Heavy
Elderberry Stout again

Wine

Some Beaverdale Kits Chardonnay and Cab Sauvs

Turbo Cider

I've already got my next 3 brews planned;

Summer Lightening
Jennings Copper Hoop
Deuchers IPA

Beyond that I want to try some APA's and then have a go at making up my own recipe.

Going to get a bigger stockpot with tap & hop strainer (Probably 33 Litres) next month so that I can do full 20-23 litre BIAB batches rather than 16ish litres Maxi style.

Non Beer wise I'm going to do a bigger batch of Elderflower Champagne this summer, and some more ginger beer. Also planning to do some non alcoholic drinks too for SWMBO who can't drink at the moment.

Oh and will plan a Christmas brew in advance this year.

Think that's plenty to keep me going :)

Nothing out of the ordinary...

...well...

...nothing *really* radical :lol:

Pending a sample currently resting in my stash, I want to do GA's "Elizium" elderberry imperial stout.
Some Belgian beers (I've seen a couple of Kwak clones kicking around off the back of the Kwak thread)
Lots of session beers, mostly from Wheeler as they just seem to work beautifully
Some not quite smash types as I've got Summit, Apollo, Warrior and a few others in stock...

Then some more wine, definitely elderberry in the autumn, maybe some soft fruit (strawb, rasp, cherry??) in the summer... Probably some red and white kits...

And maybe, just maybe a gallon from my own grapes! :thumb:

Make another three 4 gallon brews 3 weeks on the trot then put my brewing equipment away till October (well perhaps a cheeky mild or two in the summer) as I already have 4 cornies and 100 bottles filled this year already! So that should do :)

Having a total clearout of the brewshed and a complete revamp of my brew kit to all shiney as well as a new larger brewshed on the cards once the base is ready. Looking forward to this tear to be honest, made a lot of freinds on the forum and you are never to old to learn something new. :cheers: to 2013.

adrianmole72 said:
elderflower champagne sounds nice - do you have an easy recipe?

Stephen

I did the Hugh FW recipe last year and it was lovely Link

Reminded me of childhood summers as my Grandad always made a non alcoholic version for us kids to drink.

Try and bash out my first home brew kit and hopefully start learning how to make pale ale from scratch if any ones got links would be handy :)

Beerbellybob said:
Try and bash out my first home brew kit and hopefully start learning how to make pale ale from scratch if any ones got links would be handy :)

Check out my sig... :thumb: Kits and simple AG sorted!

Hopefully no big purchases for me this year, I want to settle down and understand the gear I've put together, over the last 6 months.

I want to settle on a house " session " beer that I can turn out at the drop of a hat, and in between do a few " special" brews to savour.
I'm looking to do Grays Elderberry stout in the Autumn when the elderberries come into season, and to give it a good length of time to mature in the bottle.
I've got a brew fermenting now which I think has the scope to be altered and changed into various beers so will make a decision on that after its tasting.
I've no interest in wines or ciders this year ( still got 20+ bottles of commercial wines around ) and ciders just not doing it for me at all...So beer it will be.

On the equipment side I'm hoping to acquire the old kitchen fridge when its replaced, and will turn it into a fermenting cabinet for bottles, as that's been the...er bottleneck...in my " production " line this winter. A cold spell really slows it up.
Fermentation I can manage to keep warm.

So that's me ...nothing drastic, just to consolidate on what I've got and enjoy each brew day.

For this year for me:

Belgian Tripel (brewed already and bottle conditioning) - harvested the yeast so want to make more belgian abbey styles.
Peanut Butter Porter
A beer bittered with Nettles
Some sort of Fruit Beer
A hefeweiss better than last years
A US Barley Wine nice and early so it can condition nicely for christmas

I also want to use my new stock pot for some weird flavoured/ high ABV beer and get my head round yeast harvesting and culturing up from bottles.

I also have a Strawberry Ribena Wine on the go that I hope turns out well and I want to play around with more fruit juice wines.

This year i will be mostly brewing same as last year (hefe and wits ) but trying to get them better while attempting to understand water chemistry and improve beers through this . I will also be aiming to brew and brew better pilsener/ helles or kolsch , most likely kolsch .

This year planning on some more kits and looking to go down the BIAB route.

Also looking to make some bizzare wines (suggestions anyone???)

tbert33 said:
This year planning on some more kits and looking to go down the BIAB route.

Also looking to make some bizzare wines (suggestions anyone???)

Cheese 'n' onion?
Spicy tomato?
Ham, egg and chips...

This year in the Baldbrewer calendar:

1,Go bigger and stainless.
2,Keep a regular brew of weissbier going whilst waiting for other brews to mature without getting stuck into them!
3,Cultivate more yeasties.
4, Make a brew using local wild hops I found just too late last year.
5, Try and enter some brewing competitions.
6, Brew some lager types, ipa's and attempt a triple decoction!
6,Discover a way of manipulating time so I can brew more!

;)

A whole raft of beers....

March....Citra Pale 14th March...4.3%
April.....Brewers Golden Ale...4.0%
May....Cascade Pale (or a mild) not made up my mind yet
June....Mosaic Pale
July...

so on and so on...Brewed in Homebrew style on my little kit 60-80 litres, then scaled up to the big kit...5bbl

I started this hobby due to my love of British Real Ale, so only ever wanted to brew that type of beer. Having been there and done that, I've developed an increasing desire to try brewing different types of beer, so the plan is:

- first real lager (lager yeast) on the go, current low temps are definately helping
- ingredients ready waiting for an FV to free up so I can try a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone
- keen to make a good Wheat Beer, the Coopers kit I tried last year was quite nice but not authentic IMHO
- dark German beer like a Dunkel or Bock
- plus a repeat of the real ale staples like Exmoor Gold and Old Peculier clones

Latest posts

Back