ZX Spectrum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which console/PC have you owned

• Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

• Atari 2600

• PlayStation 2

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)

• Xbox 360

• Dreamcast

• Nintendo 64

• Nintendo Wii

• Xbox

• Playstation 3

• Nintendo GameCube

• Atari 7800

• SEGA Saturn

• NeoGeo

• SEGA Master System

• 3DO

• Atari 5200

• Playstation.

• mega drive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah it was some toy. As a young kid I only ever saw it as a console because it had a joystick. Now I realise it's a computer and I could have became educated instead, rather than becoming the dog's nuts at Pacman!

Last edited:
Games I played: The Hobbit, Knight Lore, Underworlde, Tir Na Nog. Never finished one actually.

First ever computer was a C64, followed by a brief fling with and Atari ST, before returned to the fold for an Amiga (with an additional external disk drive. Made playing the epic 12 disk Monkey Island 2 much more manageable). After that messed about with the usual PS1 to PS3. Pretty much missed out this generation of consoles, but my oldest has an Xbox One which I struggle to operate. Must be an age thing.

Nothing beats the golden age though seen in the link below. You're welcome athumb..:

I bought the Atari 2600 just to play Defender it saved me putting several pounds a week through the pub coin op.
(i did get other games for it)
Looks **** now but back in the day this was the dogs.

I had a Commodore VIC20 as my first computer, I wrote a few games and copied a few out from magazines but never really got in to gaming. I then used a BBC Micro for my final year project at Portsmouth Poly (a program for controlling and logging the testing of central heating radiators to BS something), then moved on to PCs and for a short while PLCs

I had an atari st, whatever that was, would have been around 1990.
Somebody I knew had one - to me the ST means Buggy Boy, Italia 90, Xenon and the gorgeous music of Black Lamp which I still sing sometimes when I'm running or doing random ****.

The SID chip in the Commodore 64 was, and still is awesome!
Before they got so basically they were samplers me and somebody else thought that Sid chips should be in all phones - and I still think it!

I tried to get a Sid sound happening in Caustic and got slightly close but you had to turn the tempo up as far as it could go to try and switch notes fast enough so it sounds polyphonic on one channel - YES, it already is polyphonic but that's not the point. You want it all done on the intrinsically mono modular synth so you can say you've done it it by pointlessly making hard work for yourself.

Anyone starting into synths and hasn't got a feel for filters then if you look at something like the Ocean Loader 3 in oscilloscope view that dampened front edge is resonance up high.

I watched something recently where Martin Galway talked about him basically writing a super simple scripting language that did all that magic on the Sid chip. And he did most of the tunes in a couple of days and got paid **** all. I was aghast. There should be special knighthoods for the Order of the Sid.

If I met the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen and we'd be chatting all mad enthusiastic at a party I don't know what would put me off more, if she said C64 music was **** or "Shall we take a minute to give thanks to our lord Jesus."

Limitation means innovation and the Sid chip did amazingly at that.

Controversial - Last Ninja music isn't that great. Target Renegade.... that's where you should be.

20:13 emotion or what!

And of course this, which people might never know they've heard and it could be in the palm your your hand:

Yeah, this stuff might be a passion of mine.

Last edited:
Before they got so basically they were samplers me and somebody else thought that Sid chips should be in all phones - and I still think it!

I tried to get a Sid sound happening in Caustic and got slightly close but you had to turn the tempo up as far as it could go to try and switch notes fast enough so it sounds polyphonic on one channel - YES, it already is polyphonic but that's not the point. You want it all done on the intrinsically mono modular synth so you can say you've done it it by pointlessly making hard work for yourself.

Anyone starting into synths and hasn't got a feel for filters then if you look at something like the Ocean Loader 3 in oscilloscope view that dampened front edge is resonance up high.

I watched something recently where Martin Galway talked about him basically writing a super simple scripting language that did all that magic on the Sid chip. And he did most of the tunes in a couple of days and got paid **** all. I was aghast. There should be special knighthoods for the Order of the Sid.

If I met the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen and we'd be chatting all mad enthusiastic at a party I don't know what would put me off more, if she said C64 music was **** or "Shall we take a minute to give thanks to our lord Jesus."

Limitation means innovation and the Sid chip did amazingly at that.

Controversial - Last Ninja music isn't that great. Target Renegade.... that's where you should be.

20:13 emotion or what!

And of course this, which people might never know they've heard and it could be in the palm your your hand:

Yeah, this stuff might be a passion of mine.

Hypaball was also a thing of beauty

I had one from before they had an integrated floppy drive, some of my handiwork is dotted around here - Sinister Developments - Demozoo
Long after the ST was old hat in computer / gaming terms, we* were using them to make banging house music with Akai samplers and midi to CV converters driving old analogue synthesisers due to its integrated MIDI port and the availability of Cubase for it. Gradually, virtualization meant that Mac's and PCs took over but they were happy days!

* By 'we' I obviously mean other people. My DJ'ing and dance music production skills were so fantastic I am now a project manager in the logistics industry. :laugh8:

Talking of Retro gaming hardware, we’ve got a free trial of the Readly magazine subscription app. Currently reading Retro Gamer’s “Ultimate Retro Hardware Guide”. It’s a fascinating insight into all the old consoles and home computers from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Well worth a read if you happen to have Readly 👍

I had the ZX Spectrum+2 with the built in tape drive. I remember spending hours and hours of my childhood staring at the pictures of them in the Argos catalogue before eventually getting one for Christmas.

After that I had other consoles and then the one year my older brother saved up and bough an Amiga 500 which was superb before getting outclassed by the SNES I managed to get. Happy days.

I had one of those.

1587900408251.png

Latest posts

Back