Smoked Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this recipie, its a smoked porter with 50% of the base malt being Rauch Malt?

Grains

2kg Halcyon pale Malt
2kg German Rauch Malt
250g Chocolate malt
250g Crystal

Hops

20g of First gold boiled for 60 mins (40 no chill mins)
5g of First gold boiled for 20 mins ( I no chill, so these will be the 'cube hops')

Yeast

Gervin GV12

I also have fuggles and EKG I could use instead of first gold. I'm undecided to which I'll use yet. Has anyone got any thoughts on the recipie?

Thanks,
Ant

I've never used rauch malt but 2kg sounds like a lot? Perhaps, dunno sorry. I think First Gold is a good choice. What are the OG and IBUs?

I've never used rauch malt but 2kg sounds like a lot? Perhaps, dunno sorry. I think First Gold is a good choice. What are the OG and IBUs?

In my previous escapades with smoked malts, I've not been able to taste it, and I understand its commonly used (up to 95% in German Beers)> I'll give it some more reading though. I cant remember the the OG, But it came out about 4.5% abv, and 25-28 IBUs.

I'm also interested to try the First gold hops, it was a complete spur of the moment purchase, although I have realised it now means I have far too many hops. I suppose I'll have to brew more..

I've done a couple of smoked beers with Rauch Malt in the past as my wife is quite partial to them, checking the recipes I've used them as 27% and 32%, and they had a fantastic smokey character.

Worth bearing in mind that some malts are smokier than others though!

Certainly are! Rauch Malt is notoriously smoky. I used Warminister's smoked malt recently at 15%. It had a pleasant mild smoky flavour for a week or so which then just "evaporated". A month or so later it came back as something that could be identified as the smoked malt but not tasting of smoke!

More recently I tried 100% smoked malt. The beer is dominated by smoke flavour, but give it a week or so and who knows?

These were "Milds" at about 3% abv. But the lesson was don't judge the smokiness until the beer has had time to "mature".

According to Beersmith, and Hop and Grape (who sell Rauch malt), it can comprise 100% of the base malt, so 50%, obviously, will be fine! Be interested to hear how it turns out.

According to Beersmith, and Hop and Grape (who sell Rauch malt), it can comprise 100% of the base malt, so 50%, obviously, will be fine! Be interested to hear how it turns out.

I did a 50% rauchmalz and 50% pale malt and it was disgusting. Made many beers with it all went down the sink. I thought it was me until i dried a smoked porter in spoons and was equally as bad.

My local Spoons had a Smoked Porter on the other night, I have to say I could taste the smoke and never having had a smoked beer I gave it try, although it was not nasty I am not sure having had one I would want another.

Having tried a smoked porter last night, i feel that a) this may become a stout, and b) reducing the quantity of smoked malt (especially rauch malt, rather than a more subtle and sweeter cherrywood smoked malt) may be the correct course of action. I think I am going to play around with recipes for a while, then come back to y'all.

Having tried a smoked porter last night, i feel that a) this may become a stout, and b) reducing the quantity of smoked malt (especially rauch malt, rather than a more subtle and sweeter cherrywood smoked malt) may be the correct course of action. I think I am going to play around with recipes for a while, then come back to y'all.

I have a Kg of peat smoked malt i ordered when drunk and a few Kg's of Rauchmalz left if you want em Antony. Free in the interest of brewing. :)

I have a Kg of peat smoked malt i ordered when drunk and a few Kg's of Rauchmalz left if you want em Antony. Free in the interest of brewing. :)

I've already picked the rauchmalt up :D But thanks for the offer :drunk:

Okay, Having some thought about this, i think I'm going to do a few smaller brews on the stovetop, to make sure I dont end up with 40 pints of horrible beer.

Probably something like.
10l brew
1kg Rauch
1kg Halcyon
0.125kg crystal
0.125kg chocolate

Hops
10g first gold for 60mins
3g first gold for 20 mins

Some sort of yeast.

Then probably something similar with less rauch malt, to get a more subtle smokiness.

I'll get the kettle on :D

Latest posts

Back