£9 a pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
just got back in from a jolly boys outing in Bristol today at a pub called the more beer company and had a half of their hoppy 9% ipa,needless to say I was stung when he said £4.50 for the half,a cracking ale though but £9 a pint,i bet they don't sell much of it:drunk:

just got back in from a jolly boys outing in Bristol today at a pub called the more beer company and had a half of their hoppy 9% ipa,needless to say I was stung when he said �£4.50 for the half,a cracking ale though but �£9 a pint,i bet they don't sell much of it:drunk:

I remember being shocked when I paid the same for a half of Buxton Tsar RIS. Also imagine my surprise when in the same bar I was charged £15 for a bottle of La Trappe Oak aged :shock:

Well it really depends on your area and clientele. I´ve travelled quite a lot for my work, and there are plenty of bars where they charge you 15 to 20 quid for a 33cl beer or pint. And no, I´m talking about decent hotel bars, not strip clubs. As you are only allowed to buy two alcoholic beverages anyway according to policy, why would the bar sell at 3 quid if someone with a corp card would spend 2x 15 quid in the blink of an eye.

Whole city areas are based on that theory and looking at their locations and the cars of the owners, it isn´t such a bad business model anyway..

Ha, I spent £9 on a half a pint of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher at the Craft Beer Company in Covent Garden. Eye-wateringly expensive, so its just as well it was the best RIS I've tasted! To be fair, it can't be cheap to produce a decent barrel-aged beer. You have to wait a year each time you want to make a tweak to the recipe, so when something hits the spot like that I'm not surprised that market forces push up the price.

Yeah it's strange when 10 years ago they couldn't give ale away....9 quid a pint....I'd have left it there. .
BTW. ...how much are the brewdog?

Cheers

Clint

Yeah it's strange when 10 years ago they couldn't give ale away....9 quid a pint....I'd have left it there. .
BTW. ...how much are the brewdog?

Cheers

Clint

i have seen a few of theyre pubs but not been in 1 yet - im quessing i should just accept paying money for the new bars they are opening with my pint

just got back in from a jolly boys outing in Bristol today at a pub called the more beer company and had a half of their hoppy 9% ipa,needless to say I was stung when he said �£4.50 for the half,a cracking ale though but �£9 a pint,i bet they don't sell much of it:drunk:

you could always buy their bottles online! 6 of their vintage beers at 8%, only £170!!!!

http://moorbeer.co.uk/online-shop/

High prices seem to be a by-product of the craft revolution - they were charging 5 quid a pint in my local craft ale bar last week, for a bog-standard 4.5% hoppy brew. It's not in a major tourist area, and the bar was pretty much empty apart from us, unlike the Wetherspoons next door which had beer just as good for half the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased "craft" came along but it doesn't feel very sustainable at those prices.

just got back in from a jolly boys outing in Bristol today at a pub called the more beer company and had a half of their hoppy 9% ipa,needless to say I was stung when he said £4.50 for the half,a cracking ale though but £9 a pint,i bet they don't sell much of it:drunk:
Sounds fair. Big hoppy beer like that would have triple the malt bill, triple the quantity of expensive hops, of a standard pint. Being above the 7.5% abv threshhold it would also be liable for triple the duty of a 4.5% pint. So what would be a reasonable price for a pint of 4.5% abv moderately hopped beer? £3? Triple that.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased "craft" came along but it doesn't feel very sustainable at those prices.

Well that's with all hypes. 95% of them goes away in 10 years, but the ones that stand out can stand out. It's all about the product you are selling.

And if it catches on, you can invest in new projects.

Sounds fair. Big hoppy beer like that would have triple the malt bill, triple the quantity of expensive hops, of a standard pint. Being above the 7.5% abv threshhold it would also be liable for triple the duty of a 4.5% pint. So what would be a reasonable price for a pint of 4.5% abv moderately hopped beer? �£3? Triple that.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

This exactly.

You get what you pay for and as brewers we should know more than most about the cost of making a delicious mega-hoppy strong IPA versus an average 3.5% bitter.

I'd take quality over quantity any day.

High prices seem to be a by-product of the craft revolution - they were charging 5 quid a pint in my local craft ale bar last week, for a bog-standard 4.5% hoppy brew. It's not in a major tourist area, and the bar was pretty much empty apart from us, unlike the Wetherspoons next door which had beer just as good for half the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased "craft" came along but it doesn't feel very sustainable at those prices.

Craft beer is generally made in smaller batches, hence greater cost.

Also by newcomers to the market, not like the big contenders that have been at it a long time with factories and stock being sold worldwide, the start up cost of these brewers is a big factor!

when you come from a time like I did when I hit drinking age 18 and a pint was 10P a pint,9 quid today taking into account inflation is taking the preverbial p1$$
+1 on that; cheapest beer I ever bought was a pint of Ansells mild in Stoke for 1/7p a pint (that's 8p a pint) and it was after 1970.

Craft beer is generally made in smaller batches, hence greater cost.

Also by newcomers to the market, not like the big contenders that have been at it a long time with factories and stock being sold worldwide, the start up cost of these brewers is a big factor!

Agreed. But it still doesn't justify bars selling same for £9 a pint.

Agreed. But it still doesn't justify bars selling same for �£9 a pint.

if it came with a burger and chips then I would still be umming and arrring about it to be honest, it had better been an amazing pint is all im saying!

Back