1 can kit with no additions to make low abv beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
I’m looking for folks views.....I’ve got a 1.8kg Wilko Feeling Hoppy IPA that I’m thinking about brewing to 19l with no additional fermentables to get a low alcohol beer. My thinking is that brewing sugar only adds to abv so it should taste OK.

I may also dry Hop with whatever interesting I’ve got lying around to give it a little boost.

discus......

That works, so would increasing the volume to 25 L.

Adding extra water to a kit isn't going to create a tasty beverage though, which removing sugar and reducing water should deliver.

As I recall 1KG of sugar adds about 2.6% ABV to a 23 Litre brew. So a 23 litre kit with a target ABV of 4% would end up around 1.4% without the sugar at 23 Litres, but obviously increasing as the amount of water is reduced. I think a 19 Litre brew length and no sugar sounds a good place to start to create a low strength beer.

Thanks, i think I’ll got for the 19l no additions. Once i get round to trying it I’ll post the results. Got a Couple in the queue before then.

Update on this one…went for can and 250g of dextrose brewed short to 20l. Came out really nice, like a lightly hopped pale ale. Very seshionable, got great reviews from mates (could have just been because it was free right enough!) and didn’t last long! Took it to a BBQ and between 7 of us we finished a full keg!

Back