1st time using liquid yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
Going to get a Dunkles Weissenbier on the go.

1.8kg DME
1.8kg wheat ME
.8g hallertauer hops (.4 at the start of boil and the rest at 40 min.)
110ml liquid weissbier yeast

This recipie calls for the some 100ml of the yeast to be added in the FV after boil time.
It also states that hold back 1.5l of wort and 10ml of yeast for batch priming, to be added prior to bottling.

My dilemma : I have bought wyeast smack pack-3068, but i have to split the yeast down for the additions at bottling stage....
I obviously do not want to smack the pack. Will the yeast work ok without the smack?
Or would making a starter be the right route?

Found my answer on Customer Service Frequently Asked Questions, wyeast website...

3. Can I use an Activator package without activating it and waiting for it to swell? ?

Yes. An Activator pack has enough yeast in it to pitch 5 gallons whether it is activated or not. There will only be a slightly longer lag time if the package is not activated before use. In any case, the nutrient pack should be popped before using because it contains valuable nutrients. Typically, the Activator can be activated when you start your brew and will be swollen by the time your wort is cool.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back