2 Gallon pressure barrels have popped out their bottoms

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carljbray

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently started brewing with 2 gallon pressure barrels,
I just noticed whilst moving 1 of them, that the concave bottom seems to have popped out,
for obvious reasons, I am worried that this means the barrels are over pressured and there is a real risk of them exploding/splitting

Never had this issue with 5 gallon barrels

I primed with 2 fifths of the sugar I would put in a 5 gallon barrel - approx 36gm of brewing sugar
this has happened with all three 2 gallon barrels
- one barrel that I filled 2 weeks ago,
- and two barrels that I filled yesterday with a new batch
all three have done the same thing.

Has anyone else had this, and do you think, should I be concerned?
Pictures below

Cheers all,
Carl
1589211780923.png

1589211797605.png

I'd release some pressure.

Sure it was done fermenting? Tested with a hydrometer over a few days?

If it wasn't done and you added sugar that would do it.

Hi D White, thanks a lot for the reply

I'm fairly sure the batches were done fermenting, and I don't think over carbonation is the problem

I did have some problems with the first, this was fermenting very slowly, and it was going 21 days by the time I considered it finished,
very little airlock activity by the end, and I tested the gravity several times to be sure before going for it,
it was 1.008 for a few days before moving it into the barrel and bottles.

The second was much different, airlock activity was vigorous, consistent and was largely over within 4-5 days, and I left it for 2 weeks to be sure, gravity was 1.008 again by the time I put it into the barrels,
though I didn't check over the course of a few days, I must admit.

the reason for why it might have happened is one thing, but at this point I think I'm just more concerned about whether it is something to be worried about, and whether any one has similar experience with these little 2 gallon barrels

I've seen this a lot on the smaller 2 gallon kegs.
I use them a lot at work for samples, as they're easier to move about. I've never seen one pop, but if you're concerned, give the pressure relief band a little wiggle to vent it...

Thanks again for the replies,
I’ve just realised also that the 2 barrels I filled yesterday have the vent caps on them, so presumably if the pressure was too high, these would release it automatically? Or do you have to do it manually?

Should do it by itself, but it depends how old they are (the release rubbers degrade over time).
If concerned, just manually move them a little, and you'll hear the gas escape...

Thanks a lot VW911, that is reassuring.
The barrels are brand new, bought in the past couple of weeks and my first time using them.
Perhaps we’ll be able to sleep tonight without too much worry :-)

Attachments

• D29AC856-B8CE-4B3A-8B08-B153BBB8A4DD.jpeg
    D29AC856-B8CE-4B3A-8B08-B153BBB8A4DD.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 73
they are going to be a nightmare to keep steady on the kitchen work top and not stir up the yeast when pooring!

Mine do that: it's kind-of reassuring that they're building up pressure, but I'm also worried about them splitting so move them into the cool just in case. They've done it for years, you learn to recognise wen enough is enough.

so one of the barrels has leaked a bit from the bottom of the tap seal overnight, damnit, not much beer loss, but i had to vent some pressure off

It seems like the distended bottom affected the shape around the tap a little, and compromised the seal

This barrel didn't have a vent cap on it but one of the CO2 injector caps - I don't know if these have a pressure release function or not

I guess I probably should start drinking it, sooner rather than later? shame, as I was hoping to age this one for a while, it's only been conditioning for three weeks,
Barrel probably no good for another batch

This barrel didn't have a vent cap on it but one of the CO2 injector caps - I don't know if these have a pressure release function or not
All PBs have a rubber band RV somewhere. If you have injection it might be like the brown band in photo attached.; To get at it you have to part dismantle the injection valve.

1589816472204.png

One trick to try to get a better seal on the tap thread and its gasket is to put a thin layer of PTFE tape on the thread and vaseline on the gasket faces. And to remove the tap put the PB on its side tap uppermost then you can remove it to work on it, without losing any beer. And when you have re-installed it either reprime or if you have injection gas it up.

Thanks a lot VW911, that is reassuring.
The barrels are brand new, bought in the past couple of weeks and my first time using them.
Perhaps we’ll be able to sleep tonight without too much worry :-)
I've had three of these for decades and used to use them under pressure, continuously, Now only rarely, but I've never even heard of such a thing happening. I think you've got some barrels from a dodgy batch. Contact the supplier and complain, especially if they supplied the pressure relieve valve, too. In the meantime, if you stand them in a ring or a small bucket, they'll be more stable for pouring.

Hi An Ankou, thanks for your reply
when you say you've never heard of such a thing - do you mean the rounded/distended bottom, or the leaking seal around the tap?

I think I have uncovered the problem with the leak - the seal appears to have been squeezed out to one side a little, and was no longer sealing effectively - maybe I tightened it too much, or maybe the vaseline made it slippery enough that it squeezed out - weird as a sticker on the barrel recommends using vaseline/petroleum jelly, so it seems standard practise.
I've had this before on the lids when I use vaseline on the lid seals - sometimes the seal is pushed to one side, and I have to undo, replace and re-tighten.
Perhaps there is a technique for this? :-/

Sorry Carl, I was talking about the KK bottom. All other leaks and stuff are par for the course. Using vaseline can cause slippage (as the actress told the bishop) best use a thin smear and very gently wipe off with a bit of tissue. Don't grind the bits down too hard.

I've had this before on the lids when I use vaseline on the lid seals - sometimes the seal is pushed to one side, and I have to undo, replace and re-tighten.
Perhaps there is a technique for this? :-/
I have always tightened caps on PBs by turning until the mating surfaces just touch then one quarter turn. And that seems to work.

Thanks will try like this in future - sounds like I was overlubing..... schoolboy error
KK :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back