200L ish brew equipment for new micro pub/brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
Am looking for some kit to brew 4 firkin batches and am thinking of buying 5 of these 4 x 200l for HLT, boiler and 2 fermenters and 1 x 150l for a mash tun https://www.en.sansonestore.com/product/welded-barrels-conical-bottom/?attribute_pa_capacita-lt=200 I especially like them for the bottom drain for easy cleaning and no dead space but am open to suggestions on anything.

Plan for using them is:

All vessels insulated advice on how very welcome

HLT

Add 2 standard copper immersion elements one keeping the built in thermostat one with out (so I can turn the one with thermostat on night before brew day) and a thromowell for a thermometer.

Mash Tun

False bottom and insulation for batch spargeing.

Boiler

Either 1 x 6Kw and 1 x 3Kw or 3 x 3Kw elements need ideas for hop filter preferably that can deal with leaf and pellets. Also can I boil enough in a 200L tank to get 180L into a fermenter, or should I get 300L or other options?

Fermenters

Cooling coil likely attached to lid using a maxi chiller, need ideas for heating or will fermentation keep it warm enough if theres enough insulation?

How does this all sound?

Hi Simon, Re FV's We are going down a similar (though much smaller route) I have just slightly extended our FV side with two Brewbuilder 14Gallon SS conicals. Now looking for temperature control. I was looking at a custom neoprene jacket with small bore tubing linked to an inkbird 308 to switch in hot or cold. I have a Cornelius python beer cooler, but i'm stuck on how to add the heat side to two SS FV's,,,,
Although in the bigger picture the rooms in our guesthouse are much easier to control,,, Maybe a fermentation room is easier?

Hi Simon, Re FV's We are going down a similar (though much smaller route) I have just slightly extended our FV side with two Brewbuilder 14Gallon SS conicals. Now looking for temperature control. I was looking at a custom neoprene jacket with small bore tubing linked to an inkbird 308 to switch in hot or cold. I have a Cornelius python beer cooler, but i'm stuck on how to add the heat side to two SS FV's,,,,
Although in the bigger picture the rooms in our guesthouse are much easier to control,,, Maybe a fermentation room is easier?

I was thinking of using a heavy duty heat belt maybe with a voltage controller to turn it down a bit.

@simon12 Just no!!! water and electric blankets just do not work. I am actually struggling to keep temps down anyway,,, It's the vigorous first stage fermentation I need to control. Worried I will get off flavours,,, I have a well O/S and can use that as a heat sink but lots of pipes will be needed.

@BeerCat I have some trace heating cables I was going to experiment with the Inkbird. But the neoprene jacket with pump seems safer?

There must be a packaged pico brewery FV temp control system out there? I have heard of the Cornelius maxi hack system, but got no details,,,,,

Latest posts

Back