25kg sack price?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be aware of our not for profit malt buying consortium

We buy directly from Crisp and people collect from us in Cheshire. So that's a bit far for you, however, we do have people in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire even Norfolk that collaborate for pick up

The prices you see on our website are the prices we pay Crisp. We saw a very significant rise this year over last (on average 20%). Some of the larger home brew sites maybe receiving bigger discounts from Crisp but our prices are not far from what they will be paying.

The biggest cost pressure last year was due to rising fertiliser costs

The other killer price wise with regard to malt is the postage costs

Have you tried asking some local breweries? - we find that some will sell 25kg bags at a good price if you ask

Last edited:
I dont think Vlad the lad has made his mark on the prices yet, we're using last year's malt. HBC is £24 and 5% off for being on this forum, GEB is £26.19, Maltmiller is ridiculous and the more so every time I look, Brew UK isn't far behind.
Depends where you live though there's a malt buying cooperative around cheshire and I think Pop's malt is reasonable somewhere in Scotland.
My advice, stock up, it is going to get rarer.

I dont think Vlad the lad has made his mark on the prices yet, we're using last year's malt. HBC is £24 and 5% off for being on this forum, GEB is £26.19, Maltmiller is ridiculous and the more so every time I look, Brew UK isn't far behind.
Depends where you live though there's a malt buying cooperative around cheshire and I think Pop's malt is reasonable somewhere in Scotland.
Yeah it’s Crafty Maltsters in Fife who do Pop’s Ale Malt £22.40 for 25kg with free collection but I think there had been complaints about their delivery prices.

I used them once and planned on using them permanently but have got a few free bags from various places over the last year. When I’ve finished what I’ve got I’ll get a 12.5kg bag of each of their lager and pale malts

Thanks both, I'd forgotten about Hook Head. And the Homebrew Co shipping isn't too steep. I've gone with The Home Brew Shop though, free shipping over £66 which just about tipped it in their favour.

£21-25 depending on the variety, collected locally. Although the last sack was on offer at brewuk for around £20 which pushed a speciality malt, hop, yeast etc order up to free p&p.

As Obadiah says, check your local breweries. My local one is happy to sell me 25 kg of Crisp malt. It had gone up a fiver when I last bought (a couple of months ago), but is the cheapest by far for me.

I think the 5% code does not work or did not for my last order about a month ago AA. Has anybody else ordered from them recently to confirm whether is still does or does not work?

I think the 5% code does not work or did not for my last order about a month ago AA. Has anybody else ordered from them recently to confirm whether is still does or does not work?
I used it on 10th March and it worked fine. Then they suspended it for The St Patricks Day sale (17% off). It may be they've forgotten to reinstate it. Perhaps a reminder from admin would be in order.

Just did a dummy order and it works fine!

I bet thats what happened AA as my order was on the 24th of March and itbwould not accept the code. Good to know its back on though athumb..

I used it on 8th March and it worked fine for me as well.
Screenshot_20220427-173256.png

+1 for contacting your local brewery. I sent an email to my local one, Leigh on Sea Brewery, and the owner was really helpful and replied to say it’s not something they advertise but they are happy to sell malt and hops to home brewers and some dried yeast depending on what they have available. I pay £1 per kilo for malt. Place an order by email and collect a day or so later.

+1 for contacting your local brewery. I sent an email to my local one, Leigh on Sea Brewery, and the owner was really helpful and replied to say it’s not something they advertise but they are happy to sell malt and hops to home brewers and some dried yeast depending on what they have available. I pay £1 per kilo for malt. Place an order by email and collect a day or so later.
£1 per kilo is a great price

Yeah, I picked up 50kg from Brewer's Select. Peterborough is my home town 🤮 so I managed to tie this in with visiting my parents for the weekend.
Was £21 a bag for MO/GP.

I think I read somewhere that most of the cost is relating to the malting process, rather than the base cost of the grain. Should soften the blow slightly but I'd imagine the malting costs will go up too with energy prices and cost of labour.

I like the idea of asking a brewery to buy ingredients. There's dozens in South London I could ask. Will be more useful for hops where the bulk discounts appear to be substantially larger. Plus with my brews, I probably spend about £5/23l on malt, but over twice that on hops.

Latest posts

Back