30 litre speidel, will it fit in an undercounter fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorro

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a secondhand undercounter fridge to convert to a fermentation chamber and upgrading to a 30l Speidal.

Height: 47 cm Diameter: 34 cm, without the airlock.

I am just wondering if anyone has this set up working, before I buy the fermenter and start looking for a fridge.

Thanks
Z

Most undercounter fridges are around 70cm from the very bottom to the top and around 50cm from the top of the lump and the back to the top. Usually there is around 25-30cm depth at floor level (with the lump at the back) and around 40-45cm depth above the lump. It would be a very tight fit, you could try attaching a 90 degree elbow from the airlock hole and have a pipe from that running to a blow off bottle instead of an airlock.
To be safe you probably want to look at the larder fridges that are around 140cm in height, it will definitely fit in one of those.

Most undercounter fridges are around 70cm from the very bottom to the top and around 50cm from the top of the lump and the back to the top. Usually there is around 25-30cm depth at floor level (with the lump at the back) and around 40-45cm depth above the lump. It would be a very tight fit, you could try attaching a 90 degree elbow from the airlock hole and have a pipe from that running to a blow off bottle instead of an airlock.
To be safe you probably want to look at the larder fridges that are around 140cm in height, it will definitely fit in one of those.

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I don't have room for a larder. I thought it would be tight, initially I was thinking a blow off from a spigot fitted to the top, which will increase the height a little bit more.

You might be able to do something like that though the cap looks a tad weird, has quite a big bung hole which might proclude an easy fix. It's easy with a normal brew bucket as you can just screw in a 1/4" threaded adapter into the air lock hole, I did that for a ball post adapter for semi-closed transfer to my keg.

You can thread another spigot to the top, Long term, closed transfers is the aim and this should make it alot easier.
I would post a link to youtube to show the process, however I'm new and not sure if that is allowed.

I've searched the internet and found a picture of one in a fridge. Looked tight, decisions decisions

Attachments

• 22120.png
    22120.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20210505_055616_com.reddit.frontpage_edit_385195228843827.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505_055616_com.reddit.frontpage_edit_385195228843827.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20210505_060229.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505_060229.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 94
I have a spiedel fv and the two screenshots are what i have done in my fermentor fridge, used a blow off tube attached to the end of the valve, its a very tight fit. you have to make sure the cap and valve are screwed down as tight as physically possible and the tube is attached before placing the fv in the fridge.
Have seen photos on this forum of where somebody drilled a hole in the large orange cape with the seal and used a spigot with a silicon seal and then attached a elbow etc.

Using the tap is a good idea, I find it pretty useless as a tap anyway. I just use the bung and fit a plastic elbow it would be about the same height I should think though if wet you can push the bung until almost flush with thew top. I did once accidentally push it right through into the FV.
IMG_20210414_182436532.jpg

I have a spiedel fv and the two screenshots are what i have done in my fermentor fridge, used a blow off tube attached to the end of the valve, its a very tight fit. you have to make sure the cap and valve are screwed down as tight as physically possible and the tube is attached before placing the fv in the fridge.
Have seen photos on this forum of where somebody drilled a hole in the large orange cape with the seal and used a spigot with a silicon seal and then attached a elbow etc.

Thanks for the reply, what make and model is it. Post a pic if it's easier and I will check the dimensions

Using the tap is a good idea, I find it pretty useless as a tap anyway. I just use the bung and fit a plastic elbow it would be about the same height I should think though if wet you can push the bung until almost flush with thew top. I did once accidentally push it right through into the FV.
View attachment 46533
Thanks, thats a great set up you have.

I have Speidel FV and it was just a tad too big for my fridge. So I bought a cheap step drill bit and added a tap to the shoulder with a blow-off tube (pic below) and it works great.

But to be honest, I can't seem to get the smell of previous brews out of my Speidel despite my best efforts!

Anyway, I decided to move to fermenting under pressure in order to do closed transfers to my kegs and so I just bought a Fermzilla All-Rounder which fits into my fridge at a slight angle on its stand (when it's inverted).

IMG-4022.jpg

I have Speidel FV and it was just a tad too big for my fridge. So I bought a cheap step drill bit and added a tap to the shoulder with a blow-off tube (pic below) and it works great.

But to be honest, I can't seem to get the smell of previous brews out of my Speidel despite my best efforts!

Anyway, I decided to move to fermenting under pressure in order to do closed transfers to my kegs and so I just bought a Fermzilla All-Rounder which fits into my fridge at a slight angle on its stand (when it's inverted).

View attachment 46551
thanks it's nice to know I can have a back up plan.

I've not looked at the fermzilla, it might be an option. Do you have a pic of it inverted? I'm intrigued now

I'm currently fermenting an APA with the Speidel in my fridge, so I don't have a Pic of my Fermzilla right now.

But this picture is probably more useful for you (normal & inverted). Plus the AR can be tilted slightly as well because you'll need space for an airlock or spunding valve for pressure fermentation.
30l-fermzilla-all-rounder.jpeg

Why not take the U/C fridge door off, fit a wooden collar on (like a keezer collar) and then refit the door to the wooden collar. Works a treat for me. If you need to drill holes then simply drill the wooden collar and not the fridge.

Attachments

• Fermentation Collar 1.jpg
    Fermentation Collar 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Fermentation Collar 2.jpg
    Fermentation Collar 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Fermentation Collar 3.jpg
    Fermentation Collar 3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Fermentation Collar 4.jpg
    Fermentation Collar 4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 70
I'm currently fermenting an APA with the Speidel in my fridge, so I don't have a Pic of my Fermzilla right now.

But this picture is probably more useful for you (normal & inverted). Plus the AR can be tilted slightly as well because you'll need space for an airlock or spunding valve for pressure fermentation.
View attachment 46608
Yeah when you said inverted, I thought you meant the fermenter which is why I was confused. 😂

Ive found a Fridge and they quoted 53cm from the compressor bump to the top. Do you think that will fit with the spigot on top?

53cms is going to be too tight so you would have to go with the suggestion from @Leckdude. Or find a bigger fridge.
I've been thinking and im going to go the Fermzilla route with a spunding valve. I really appreciate the help, it's a great option, i had never considered.
Cheers again

That's a full sized Fermzilla in a under counter fridge. No able to take the collection jar off though when it's in there.

IMG_20201123_171212.jpg

That's a full sized Fermzilla in a under counter fridge. No able to take the collection jar off though when it's in there.

View attachment 46628
Nice idea and execution, thanks for sharing 👍

Im going to order the all rounder, before somebody posts a stainless steel number and a customized fridge solution that gets my attention. :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back