5G

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get any good beers from Asda? 😄

That is why i was there ;)

This would be high on my top 10 all time favourite beers list.

1703086727082.png

My new phone has 5G but I wasn't aware we had 5G round here, sat in ASDA car park I noticed the icon switch from 4G to 5G so I ran speed test and got 138 Mbps, I can see a lot of people getting rid of their landlines when 5G coverage becomes as common as 4G.

Can you connect to 5G, what speeds do you get?
Don't see 5g around.my way but see it if I am in a city. Full fibre just landed here so made the switch, land line is redundant

Don't see 5g around.my way but see it if I am in a city. Full fibre just landed here so made the switch, land line is redundant

I think it'll be a few years before we get full fibre, my FTTC speeds are good enough for now but as we move onto 4k streaming etc we may start to struggle with 3 of us using it at the same time.

1703106784602.png

Over here Starlink is the go for remote communities and farmsteads here, but Amazon is now joining the fray promising to cut the cost of other satellite providers. That is why we need more competition, Musk is raking it in at the moment.

I think it'll be a few years before we get full fibre, my FTTC speeds are good enough for now but as we move onto 4k streaming etc we may start to struggle with 3 of us using it at the same time.

View attachment 93531
I had always been happy with my speed but in the last month its become a bit poor, perhaps due to my contract ending 😄
Fttp for cheaper than what I was paying made sense

We had to give up on fttc as the evening speed when people started streaming became unusable. BT aren’t very clear on when they will build full fibre here so stuck in a virgin monopoly.

5G mast has been up for a year and not a peep out of it so far…

We had to give up on fttc as the evening speed when people started streaming became unusable

We have two cabinets at each end of the estate so I assume mine is not congested we have always got 60+ Mbps it never slows.

Last edited:
We have two cabinets at each end of the estate so I assume mine is not congested we have always got 60+ Mbps it never slows.
You're lucky chippy. Our cabinet is lit 250 yards away. In the early days of asdl we got the full speed, then it dropped as more people started getting internet. Same with fttc, got max speed for several months, then 6 months or so later speed started dropping as more people came to end of contracts & switched to fttc too.
Real problem is that the cabinet must be serving a couple hundred houses & I'm pretty sure the phone lines aren't copper, but the cheap copper/aluminium alloy they used to fit.

thanks, I thought all that effort had been wasted.
Well, it did appear to go over the heads of many....maybe they need to dial-in to the subtle nuances of an intellectual like you. Or maybe they need to throttle back a little on the downloads, or maybe they just need throttling?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back