5l mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biimb

Reaction score
ive just bought a machine to use 5l mini kegs, however im trying to find a method to minimise sediment so i can take 5l kegs to say a party, would it be possible for me to brew say a coopers lager (the one with lager yeast) and put it in my 50litre barrel to carbonate with the sugar? The barrel is a pressured one where i can use c02, then once fermented could i simply pour into the 5l minikegs to go into my machine? Thanks for any advice.

Yup. I ferment in a keg and do exactly the same but with 10L rather than 5L kegs. Works a treat!

Yup. I ferment in a keg and do exactly the same but with 10L rather than 5L kegs. Works a treat!
Hi thanks for the reply, so will it not loose its fizz/carbonation when i put it into the 5l kegs?

You won't lose the fizz but you might need some CO2 to aid dispensing. If you empty it with a couple of hours the CO2 pressure in the head space will drop. It takes a long time to build up as dissolved CO2 is slow to be released from the beer.

Last edited:
The machine uses them little c02 cartridges. Should i add a little more sugar when moving from PG to mini kegs to help re carb?

Can you post details and/or a photo of your 'machine'?

Basically takes any 5l mini keg, also takes c02 cartridges for non pressurised kegs (mainly homebrews) as the commercial ones you buy are normally already pressurised. Once you drink the keg you can refill them with your homebrew.

Attachments

• 20200630_175553.jpg
    20200630_175553.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 92
them type of 5l kegs/party kegs. £15 from morrisons i paid for the doom bar beer.

Attachments

• 15935364298691703275183515113889.jpg
    15935364298691703275183515113889.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 94
Yes thats the one i bought, it was brand new and very cheap, imported from Germany so has a eu plug but meh beggars cant be choosers. I have no experience kegging into 5l cans so i need someone in the know to guide me in. Altho i have a fair few 5l kegs from supermarket i have to finish drinking 1st. 😆

Yes thats the one i bought, it was brand new and very cheap, imported from Germany so has a eu plug but meh beggars cant be choosers. I have no experience kegging into 5l cans so i need someone in the know to guide me in. Altho i have a fair few 5l kegs from supermarket i have to finish drinking 1st. 😆
There's a long thread on these 5 litre kegs here.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/easy-keg-5l.57568/page-88#post-909180There's three sorts
- two you can recycle from shop bought kegs which come with beer, but only one has a vent bung which you can reuse*
- ones you buy and then fit a party star type CO2 driven dispenser which works from the top opening, but these can be expensive. This type may not have a bottom tap (others can confirm)
The reusable ones have a limited life it seems, since the lining deteriorates and when it fails you get a metallic taste to the beer. When you reuse these kegs and don't have a proper dispenser you prime the beer with about 15g sugar
* The ones with the recyclable vent have a red vent plug, and a black flange thingy. The non recyclable types have a black vent plug in a red flange. Latter type have to be destroyed and replaced with a rubber bung or similar to make the keg re-usable.
I have been given some of the shop bought kegs of both types and I have them on trial. The ones with the non reusable vent are made by Fass Frisch which is printed on the tap.

I just hope, if you refill mini kegs, that you can the tube to seal. There should be two seals just for that purpose. Please tell us how you get on.

Have there ever been any stainless versions of these minikegs? Seems like a missed opportunity if not, they're tinny and they don't weigh much empty so materials cost should be pretty low compared to professional kegging options. I'd imagine demand would be quite high, especially from comercial craft breweries considering the popularity of growlers. Coated steel really puts me off giving them a try, I'd be dreading the metalic taste with every re-use.

Kelper im on my 1st 5l keg of doom bar beer, the carbonation and head are fantastic, however im not getting ahead of myself as its commercial brewed, once i get onto my 3rd keg im going to put a coopers lager into my fb, by time thats done i will of finished the 4th 5l keg and the filling will begin. Then i will find out what the comparison from machine draught to bottles will be on a hombrew. 👍
Anyone have any tips for the coopers lager kit knowing its going through a draught machine at the end?

Terry my plan is to leave it in the FV a extra few days then transfer it to a king keg prime it with sugar then fill the keg with c02, leave it for a further 10 days then pour from king keg into 5l mini kegs to be then stored in a fridge side ways on as there should then be no sediment, then as and when required pop them into my draught dispenser?

Latest posts

Back