Adding tea to cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderKieron

Reaction score
I've been making cider for quite some time but have never heard of folk adding tea to their brews until I got on here.

So! Why do you lot add tea? Is it simply for flavor or is there a more scientific reason for it?

Is tannin in cider important?

That rather depends on where you're coming from. Many traditional ciders such as those from Germany, Switzerland and the East of England have quite low levels of tannin. Most modern 'factory' ciders have rather little. But traditional ciders from NW France and SW England have noticeably higher levels, so the cider is markedly astringent to most people's taste, especially if it's 'dry' (unsweetened). That's because these areas have always used bittersweet and bittersharp apples which are characterised by high levels of tannin. The reasons for this are historical and not entirely clear. But if you want to make a traditional English West Country style of cider, you really have to use some high tannin apples. And, even if you don't, some tannin in a cider is highly desirable or it simply becomes too insipid for anyone's taste and lacks 'body'

http://www.cider.org.uk/tannin.htm

Is tannin in cider important?

That rather depends on where you're coming from. Many traditional ciders such as those from Germany, Switzerland and the East of England have quite low levels of tannin. Most modern 'factory' ciders have rather little. But traditional ciders from NW France and SW England have noticeably higher levels, so the cider is markedly astringent to most people's taste, especially if it's 'dry' (unsweetened). That's because these areas have always used bittersweet and bittersharp apples which are characterised by high levels of tannin. The reasons for this are historical and not entirely clear. But if you want to make a traditional English West Country style of cider, you really have to use some high tannin apples. And, even if you don't, some tannin in a cider is highly desirable or it simply becomes too insipid for anyone's taste and lacks 'body'

http://www.cider.org.uk/tannin.htm

Cheers for the clarification on that - nice bit of history, too. I'll lob a mug full into my next small batch and see what happens. Afterall, experimentation is half the fun hehe.

I imagine the tea goes in primary fermentation?

I usually add it only cos that's what I heard was a good thing... next time I make one I'll leave it out, can't imagine it makes much difference but curious anyhoo

Latest posts

Back