AG#36 Finally cracked it......... Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Righy ho. Before I start, I wasn't aiming for a clone of Punk. I'm not really into cloning to be honest, but everytime I brew a hoppy APA style beer I compare it to Punk as I reckon that's the best example of this style of beer. In addition, I think that the grapefruit/hop explosion you get when you drink it is amazing and, whilst not trying to replicate the taste, I've always wondered how they got that effect.

In recent months I invested in a Blichmann Hop Rocket but haven't hooked it all up yet as I'm in the process of re-building my brewery so won't be brewing until the Christmas holidays at the earliest. This recipe was done without anything fancy and is pretty easy to do.

Basically, I brewed this recipe expecting a nice IPA but last night I sampled a pint and am totally blown away. This is exactly like Punk IPA. It's a bit higher ABV but that's easy fixed. You have to try this recipe. It's mind-blowing.

So, off we go. My Brother (lives in Canada) was over for a week in Oct and he's into beer and has dabbled with kits and never done an AG brew before so I decided to do this recipe to show him what's what. I stumbled upon the recipe below and went for it for 2 reasons. Firstly it used ingredients I had! Handy! Secondly it was called Magnum IPA and my Bro's into his guns. Off we go :

Magnum IPA

40 Litre brew

12.3kg M/otter (Crisp)
0.96kg Crystal (135EBC)

Mashed with 45 litres @ 65.6c

Boil volume 55 litres - 90 min boil

60g Magnum @ 60 mins
60g Crystal @ 5 mins
60g Magnum @ 5 mins
1kg Honey (Used Sainsburys Organic - added to boil with 1 min to go)

Dry hop 60g Citra
Dry hop 60g Crystal
Dry hop 60g Magnum

Collected 40 litres at 1070 - Finished at 1013 - 7.5%

Fermented with WLP001

I don't have many pics (almost none in fact) as I was showing my Brother all the processes, pumps, etc so didn't really have time. I know he took a few though so I'll see if I can get them from him.

I brewed this on the 19th Oct and on the 29th I dry hopped 20 litres with 30g each of Citra, Magnum & Crystal. The other 20 litres got 30g of Magnum and 60g of Citra.

On the 8th of Nov I took the beer directly from the fermenters (still containing yeast, hops, etc) and kegged it. Purged the air and popped some C02 on top. I then left them until last night. I cracked open the 2nd keg - the one dry-hopped with 30g Magnum and 60g Citra - and the results have blown me away. I'll put the other 20l's on tap tonight (maybe) and check the against each other to see if the dry-hop variations is noticeable.

I'm totally sold on the "kegging direct from fermenter" idea. Saved so much hassle, time and potential infection risks. I also think the hoppy-ness of the beer is popping out more than it would if I had stored in plastic for another week or two. Dropping directly from the hops into a stainless keg has retained a LOT of the aromas I reckon.

The only problem is that it's cloudy. It's been sat cold for almost a month and still hasn't dropped clear. That said, I kegged direct from a very murky FV full of hops and yeast and have used NO finings so can't really complain to be honest. Not fusssed about clarity but would like to come up with a solution. I can't fine in the FV with all the hops in there and would rather not use a secondary. Would you advise fining in the keg?

Now, as I said at the beginning, I wasn't planning a Punk IPA clone but bloody hell.......this is very very close. If I was going for a clone, I'd use a different Crystal to lighten the colour and reduce the ABV a wee bit. Will bring some to the Spring Thing for you guys to check out.

The only pics I have are :

FV after kegging. Wasn't too sure on this process but totally sold on it now :

E194F518-50D9-4BBC-9773-6A40372724A9-3195-00000449B0506FAE.jpg

Colour and hydro test :

D45B3325-D087-49A2-91E4-EC80C5D29927-3195-00000449B56A0F3B.jpg

Do yourself a favour and brew this beer!

Ta.

Forgot to add, I also top-cropped a bunch of yeast from this batch. Totally sold on that process as well. Dead easy and you get super clean yeast.

K

Hi,
So you dry hopped into the fermenter?

Simon.

Aye that's exactly right.

I've been reading the Jamil Yeast book and he explains that secondary isn't needed if you're correctly using your yeast therefore I've just stopped doing it.

My process was :

Brew - 19th Oct
Dry-hop - 29th Oct
Kegged - 8th Nov
Sample - 1st Dec

After brewing I put the wort into the FV's and it never left those until I kegged.

K

here is brewdogs punk ipa that put out in brew your own mag when they did a interview some time back :thumb:
dont know if you ever seen it not done any of these yet
i also have
Hardcore IPA clone
Rip Tide clone

Punk IPA clone
(5.0 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
0G=1.060 FG=1.014
IBU = 62 SRM = 8 ABV = 6.0%
Ingredients
12.5 lbs. (5.7 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
16 AAU Columbus hop pellets (90 mins)
(1.5 oz./43 g at 11% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Ahtanum hop pellets (0 mins)
(1 .0 oz./28 g at 8.0% alpha acids)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Amarillo hop pellets
(dry hop)
White Labs WLP007 (Dry English Ale)
yeast (1-qt./1-L yeast starter)
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step
Mash grains at 149 °F (65 oq for 1 hour,
and sparge to collect about 6.0 gallons
(23 L) of wort. Boil for 90 minutes with
Columbus hops at start and Ahtanum at
knock-out. Cool, and add yeast as a 1-
quart (1 L) starter prepared 2-3 days earlier.
Oxygenate well and let ferment for
3-5 days. Rack into a secondary fermenter
and add Amarillo hops in a sanitized
muslin bag. Rack after one to two
weeks, and bottle or keg as desired.
Punk IPA clone
(5.0 gallons/19 L,
extract with grains)
0G=1.060 FG=1.014
IBU = 62 SRM = 8 ABV = 6.0%

Ingredients
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
3.0 lbs. (1.4 kg) Muntons Extra Light
dried malt extract
3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Muntons Extra Light
liquid malt extract (late addition) .
16 AAU Columbus hop pellets (90 mins)
(1.5 oz/43 g at 11.0% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Ahtanum hop pellets (0 mins)
(1 oz/28 g at 8.0% alpha acids)
1.0 oz. (28 g) Amarillo hop pellets
(dry hop)
White Labs WLP007 (Dry English Ale)
yeast (1-qt./1-L yeast starter)
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
To get an acceptable level of hop utilization,
and the correct amount of bitterness
in your beer, you must be able to boil at
least 3.5 gallons (13 L) of wort. In a large
kitchen pot, steep crushed pale malt in
3.0 qts. (2 .8 L) of water at 149 oF (65 oq
for 45 minutes. While grains are steeping,
begin heating 2. 75 gallons (1 0 L) of water
in your brewpot. Lift grain bag, place in a
collander and slowly rinse grains with 1.5
qt. (1.4 L) of water at 169 oF (76 °C}. Add
"grain tea" from steep and dried malt
extract to your brewpot to make at least
3.5 gallons (13 L) of wort. Boil wort for 90
minutes, adding Columbus hops at the
start and Ahtanum hops at knock-out.
Stir in liquid malt extract for the final 15
minutes of the boil. (Keep a pot of boiling
water handy and add water if brewpot
volume drops below 3.5 gallons/13 L).
Cool wort, transfer to fermenter and top
up to 5.0 gallons (19 L) with cool water
Add yeast from 1-quart (1-L) yeast starter
prepared 2-3 days earlier. Oxygenate well
and let ferment for 3-5 days. Rack into a
secondary fermenter and add Amarillo
hops in a sterilized muslin bag. Rack after
one to two weeks, and bottle or keg
as desired.

It looks like a bit of a beast Kev.

As for the clarity - you can certainly use isinglass in the cornie and then purge out the bottom pint or so when ready. I used to us it at a rate of 40ml per cornie.

that sounds awesome Kev well done! did you manage to get the beer out of the fv ok without all the hops clogging it up? usually when I dry hop I put the hops in a muslin bag. whats the chances of a bottle growing a pair of legs and heading for Dunfermline lol? I'm bottling my Jagpur IPA later today, hopefully that will be worth swapping!

@ Calum - Might just do that then. I normally use gelatine so reckon I'll just do that and pull through a pint of gunk before drinking. Didn't know I could fine in a cornie - thanks for the tip.

@ Abbey - It wasn't a huge issue as the hops floated on top so I syphoned as usual and it only clogged up at the very last minute before the syphon would have stopped anyway. However, I will be using muslin bags from now on as it's just cleaner/neater, etc to do that. Whilst I haven't had anything clog up yet - I know it's going to happen at some point so I don't want to risk it.

You're more than welcome to try it but I don't bottle very often and all 40 litres of this in in kegs. If you're ever in Kirkcaldy then feel free to pop in for a sample.

K

Aye. Exact-a-mundo

I use the solar pump to recirc the HLT during strike water heating. Then I simply hook it into the outlet of the mash tun to fill up. Works a treat for a number of reasons :

1. Temp maintained better - doesn't drop as much
2. Room doesn't become steamy
3. Better mix - no dough balls
4. Less effort!

Honestly, never going back to the "dump and stir" method.

K

kev said:
I've been reading the Jamil Yeast book and he explains that secondary isn't needed if you're correctly using your yeast therefore I've just stopped doing it.K

Exactly +1

Well done on the brew, seems like youv'e got a belter :thumb:

Coming in late here, but Kev says he 'top cropped' the yeast on this one , which means what exactly? That he cropped some from the krauten, in its fiery throes, to be used on another occasion, rather than go through the rigmarole of washing yeast from the trug at end of fermentation?

i dont know if i am reading this right kev :wha: total dry hop 180g

Dry hop 60g Citra
Dry hop 60g Crystal
Dry hop 60g Magnum

I dry hopped 20 litres with 30g each of Citra, Magnum & Crystal. ---- here 30g /30g / 30g= of each hop

The other 20 litres got 30g of Magnum and 60g of Citra. ??????????---30g / 60g but got citra at 60g ????

total citra dry hop is 60g but you got 90g in total kev :wha:

Aye sorry for confusion, in summary 1 batch got 30g of each and the other 30g Magnum and 60g of citra.

Apologies - the initial 60/60/60 was written before I realised I was missing some crystal.

180g in total but wasn't an equal 60g of each.

K

Latest posts

Back