Alkaline tasting lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euan1984

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have any ideas as to how my Australian lager (coopers) tastes a little like bleach or like an alkaline taste to it , I used star San so I was certain it wasn't that , I fermented at a steady 22degrees and the yeast was an ale yeast so I am led to believe this was correct , I chilled the beer after 10 days in the fv then put it in my corney keg and force carbonated , I ended up sick after drinking it so safe to say it's for the bin , any help would be grateful ,

How long since you kegged it?

maybe it will get better with time, or you could try experimenting with samples to try and make it tastier. Acids neutralise alkalinity so maybe try adding citric, or tartaric or malic, whatever, to see if you can improve it.

Thanks for that I have some citric acid I'll perhaps try that through it , I've only brewed about 4 batches so still ironing out the mistakes .

You really want a minimum of 1 week (preferably two weeks) carbing up, then at least 1 week, (again preferably two weeks) to condition, so it probably just needs more time.

If its not good in a few weeks then you could take samples and experiment with them.

Well, my thoughts, not worth a damn but still...
If it's a lager and if it was a lager yeast, fermenting at 22 degrees is way, way too high. Some California lager yeasts can go to 18 or so. It might have leached of some acids that that yeasts does at uncomfortable levels. If that's the case, it will clear up. But lagers take a LONG time to ferment.

Have a read of this, it might answer your question. My initial guess is you didn't remove the chlorine from your water but it could also be the fermenting temperature was a bit high for the yeast or you used a chlorine based cleaner and didn't rinse it properly.

If you can't find the taste you describe look at the links for "Diacetyl", "DMS" and "esters".

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/06/19/phenolics-and-tannins-in-home-brewed-beer/

Hi rob I usually use bottled water like volvic bit this time I regrettably used tap water , Scottish water tastes good but I am now finding out I should have let it sit or remove the chlorine so that maybe adds weight to the fact I'm getting that tang, I appreciate your time to message me back as I am new to this and obviously learning and making mistakes at the same time

Hi rob I usually use bottled water like volvic bit this time I regrettably used tap water , Scottish water tastes good but I am now finding out I should have let it sit or remove the chlorine so that maybe adds weight to the fact I'm getting that tang, I appreciate your time to message me back as I am new to this and obviously learning and making mistakes at the same time

It's simple to remove chlorine, you just need to bung in a crushed Camden tablet or some sodium metabisulphite. A tiny amount is needed, lots of info on it on the internet.

If you're going to buy water there's an awful lot cheaper than Volvic!

Latest posts

Back