Amarillo hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leojez

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an all grain single hop pale ale with Amarillio pellets sitting in the fermenter and it's just hit expected FG. I used the Greg Hughes recipe from his book. I was excited to use the Amarillio hops after reading about them but even though the taste test from the trial jar was lovely and clean with nice bitterness, there was virtually no hop aroma/taste. Wondering if I should dry hop with more Amarillo?

It's just a small test batch - 10L with Amarillo hops added as follows:
70 mins -16g
15 mins -8g
5 min - 9g
0 min - 36g

Maybe the hoppiness will come through with conditioning? Or would it be worth dry hopping, and if so how much and how long?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've got an all grain single hop pale ale with Amarillio pellets sitting in the fermenter and it's just hit expected FG. I used the Greg Hughes recipe from his book. I was excited to use the Amarillio hops after reading about them but even though the taste test from the trial jar was lovely and clean with nice bitterness, there was virtually no hop aroma/taste. Wondering if I should dry hop with more Amarillo?

70 mins -16g
15 mins -8g
5 min - 9g
0 min - 36g

Maybe the hoppiness will come through with conditioning? Or would it be worth dry hopping, and if so how much and how long?

Thanks!

I made this beer, and I was slightly under whelmed. In fact I even got the hop packet out (again) to make sure I had used the right ones. In fact the whole packet smelt of nothing really and I was wondering whether I had been diddled.

I made this beer, and I was slightly under whelmed. In fact I even got the hop packet out (again) to make sure I had used the right ones. In fact the whole packet smelt of nothing really and I was wondering whether I had been diddled.

Where did you buy it?

Hi,

70 mins -16g
15 mins -8g
5 min - 9g
0 min - 36g

Thanks!

If you have more why not dry hop for 5 days:thumb:

If you have more why not dry hop for 5 days:thumb:

for 10litres 50g amarillo dry hop for 5 days or if you're a terminal hop head a second 50g 5 day dry hop repeated 5 days later. :twisted:

if just done my first 50g amarillo & 50g galaxy dry hop (in a bag) 7 days after pitching. Will repeat in 5 days :-)

for 10litres 50g amarillo dry hop for 5 days or if you're a terminal hop head a second 50g 5 day dry hop repeated 5 days later. :twisted:

if just done my first 50g amarillo & 50g galaxy dry hop (in a bag) 7 days after pitching. Will repeat in 5 days :-)

Will. Dry hopping in a bag have any difference to just throwing the hops/pellets in.

Great, I'll try that thanks! I was under the impression that the shorter the time dry hopping the stronger the aroma - would a 2 or 3 day dry hop be better or have I got the wrong impression?

I've done a single hop wheat beer and it was overwhelmingly lemony. It would be surprising to me if it were bland...

Interesting reading this thread, because I've just done an Amarillo brew and it too was bland. And here's the odd bit - it's a repeat of a recipe I've done before and last time it was great, so I was also thinking I've been diddled on the hops although they came from another supplier.

There have been issues with some hop supplies being scarce and therefore expensive recently, I'm wondering if someone somewhere in the supply chain has mixed a lower-quality hop in with the pellet production?

Dry hop aroma has been shown to be extracted very quickly, particularly in pellets. 3 days should be plenty. Saying that I never end up bottling when I intend to and I've left dry hops in the fermentor for 21 days before with no ill effect and still getting a great hop aroma.

If you want to get very geeky there's an interesting thesis on dry hop aroma extraction here.

Great, I'll try that thanks! I was under the impression that the shorter the time dry hopping the stronger the aroma - would a 2 or 3 day dry hop be better or have I got the wrong impression?

The bag saves having to strain the hops out. if you leave hops in too long then you can get woody/grassy flavors so that's why I use a bag for the first dry hop otherwise they'd be stuck in there for 10 days.

5 days seems to be the consensus with a lot of hb'ers although some do 2-3 and some have done 7 days. So I chose the middle setting and have been pleased with the results. I now do a second dry hop. It's probably best (and cheaper) to start with lower amounts of hops and work up to the amount of hoppyness you like that fits in with your brewing methods

if you like brewdog beers e.g punk ipa etc. then for 10 litres 50g dry hop is a good start, but if you think old hoppy hen is a hoppy beer try 25g.

Whatever you decide, you'll always be able to tweak you next beer closer to your preferences and have great fun getting there!

This was one of my first AG beers and very good it was too
I did add a 50g dry hop for 5 days to the recipe though

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back