An old goat needs help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for neatly 30 years, but now I have developed a problem!
My brews are begining to take on a TCP type taste about 8 wks after brewday.
My ferments habitually take 4 wks!
Am I boiling too vigoursly, or do I have other problems?

And I thought I knew it all!!!!

TCP taste sounds like txtbook chlorine from water hitting hop oils-fix by putting a crushed campden in every 5 gallons of brewing water- bit more if not leaving for a few minutes, should fix it right up- i noticed my brews got this when the water company recently did some "improvements" inconsiderate people they are... :evil:
as for long brews, get yeast and ferment temps right and all should go well-if not could be water again-maybe need some buffering??? perhaps invest in a reverse osmosis/filter system then ur sorted and just add minerals to suit the beer...
never heard of 2 vigourous a boil its all good :lol:

Have you changed your sanitisation method recently? Just a thought - I had "medicinal" problems with a brew that had tiny residual amounts of a chlorine based sanitiser from bottling.

evanvine said:
Aleman said:
Infection!
That statement is as legion as it is unhelpful!
A few names and sources may be of more use!
The most common source of TCP tastes in beer is that produced by infection . . particularly wild yeasts, although there are some bacteria that contribute. . . The answer is to clean everything really well . . . In fact buy new FV secondaries, tubing . . . everything that touches the beer post boil. . . . and while you are at it take a good look at your cleansing/disinfection routine.

Latest posts

Back