Anyone used Spelt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Bought myself a kilo of spelt the other day and now looking to do a small batch. I have not decided on IBU yet or what hops to use. Not seen a lot of recipes but thinking of something like this for the grainbill.

12l into FV
1kg spelt
500g wheat malt
200g raw wheat
800g extra pale
200g oat husks

Would be nice if it looked like what beer but probably going to use a clean yeast.

Sorry, I've never used spelt, but would be very interested in your results! I understand that it is often used I'm Saison or farmhouse beers?

As above, never used it but the best of show winner at the Irish NHC competition was a spelt saison, didn't see a recipe for it unfortunately.

Only grown in a few parts of Germany from what i briefly read. Its an "ancient wheat" so it should be cloudy. I have oat husks so not worried about a stuck mash. Maybe the raw wheat is unnecessary. Thinking i may try Kveik yeast after you said farmhouse. Low IBU's and if i ferment it hot should be drinkable in 3 weeks..

Brewed this up at the weekend minus the oat husks. Don't seem to need them now i have reverted to using a bag. Mashed at 65c and used cml kolsch yeast in the end. Started off around 12c and slowly risen up to 20c. Looks almost done. Due to the ease of lautering i would like to increase the % next time. Maybe 85%.

Let us know how it turns out. I'd be interested to know if there is a real flavour difference over normal wheat.

I hope so or hope i can tell at least. Think as its best drunk fresh i might bottle after 10 days. Not sure if i pitched the right yeast after i found some old 3068 in fridge and the kveik. I can never make up my mind so maybe i should just leave it 6 weeks.

Just bottled the batch and it tasted great. Very clean and crisp. Have to say i love the cml kolsch yeast, its so good at low temps. I dry hopped with 30g of citra. Drank the whole sample. Was pretty clear which surprised me as i thought i might be hazy due to the raw wheat. I did not add any finings. Wish i had done a bigger batch. FG was 1010.

Think i only have one bottle left of this. Definitely enjoying it. Might try a different yeast next time and add some crystal wheat as i like to experiment but finding this a nice alternative to my usual IPA's and Kolsch. I don't perceive it as being bitter at all but the Mrs said it was although she surprisingly likes it. I think it could be good with lactose and some fruit.

001.JPG

Latest posts

Back