Anyone watching the Rugby League World Cup?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Tonga/PNG, that was a cracking game.

League fan here. Seen all the games on tv but probably not going to a live match. My normal seat is £17 but is £55 for the international.

More a Union fan, but watched a few games, Looking forward to the semi finals on, should be tasty.

Yes. Born and bred in Halifax to rugby mad parents, followed Halifax for over 50 years.
Live in Cornwall now so league is a bit sparse, but we do have a team down here now.

Scotland were very unlucky tonight and were just pipped at the post by the Auzzies.
A hard fought 84-0 pumping haha thank god i'm a golf fan not rugby league.

You've just seen the best side in the world (arguably) against one of the weakest. And that's what you'll get in Cup competitions. It doesn't make it pointless. It would be the same if the All Blacks played some no-marks. But what you do see is the great execution and brilliant skills of the world's best players.

I don't. Few fans do.
Really - Whys that? Seriously, I always thought he was a rather avuncular fella - but there again Im a soft southern fella. Really enjoyed RL on a saturday afternoon on the Beeb - what went wrong?

Scotland were very unlucky tonight and were just pipped at the post by the Auzzies.
A hard fought 84-0 pumping haha thank god i'm a golf fan not rugby league.

That gave me a chuckle! In fairness though I'm Union through and through, but I'm really looking forward to the business end of things, league is a great game and the Aussies are a special rugby team

That gave me a chuckle! In fairness though I'm Union through and through, but I'm really looking forward to the business end of things, league is a great game and the Aussies are a special rugby team
I dont even know if we play rugby league in Scotland because Italy pumped us in the first game too Mamamia... As long as we keep up the good work against England in the 6 nations and get that Calcutta cup filled up with whisky yet again then happy days.

You've just seen the best side in the world (arguably) against one of the weakest. And that's what you'll get in Cup competitions. It doesn't make it pointless. It would be the same if the All Blacks played some no-marks. But what you do see is the great execution and brilliant skills of the world's best players.
It doesn't make it good viewing. I have caught up on a few games and Australia V Scotland did nothing for me. Like watching Australia V Netherlands at cricket

I dont even know if we play rugby league in Scotland because Italy pumped us in the first game too Mamamia... As long as we keep up the good work against England in the 6 nations and get that Calcutta cup filled up with whisky yet again then happy days.
You don't really. Scotland and Ireland are madey up teams aka heritage. Ireland I think has one player born in Ireland in the whole squad. The real tournament will be the semi finals and final, that will be the real high level rugby

More a Union fan, but watched a few games, Looking forward to the semi finals on, should be tasty.
Me also, the trouble with the RLWC is that there are only 2 questions to be answered:
Which team will be 4th semi-finalists?
Which team will be underdogs in the final vs Australia?.

Really - Whys that? Seriously, I always thought he was a rather avuncular fella - but there again Im a soft southern fella. Really enjoyed RL on a saturday afternoon on the Beeb - what went wrong?
Briefly:

a) it was a a hell of a long time ago, and the sport has changed beyond recognition since then, not least, by changing from a winter spoirt to a summer one.

b) Eddie Waring fed into that dozy comedic Northern stereotypes which led to the game not being taken seriously enough.

I watch, and have done for years, every game in the Aussie NRL comp. The difference in speed and skill between that, and the laughably over-rated Six Nations, is an absolute no-brainer to me.

Back