Asparagus Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
With a number of free DJs I had the idea to try and make an asparagus wine. I have searched the interweb with no result. The proposed recipe is:

2kg Asparagus (The woody stock bit)
1.3kg Sugar
150g Saltanas
1/2 Lemons (Use juice and peel)
Nutrient
Strong cup of Tea for tannins

The plan was to simmer the stocks in water for about 20-30 mins. Strain onto the suagr and everything else with an added campden tablet then leave to cool before pitching yeast. Ferment in primary for 1 week then rack into clean DJ to finish.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :thumb:

I couldn't comment on your recipe but I love asparagus. I would never ever have thought to make a drink from it though. Isn't the price alone a little prohibitive?

Leo

Yes but I have been storing the woody ends of the asparagus that you snap off before you cook them. I have used them to enhance stock or ever just boiled them to make an asparagus stock for a risotto so I am thinking that I can use the sam principlae to creat a must.

I imagine that this drink would produce the smelliest pee known to man! I think I'd prefer to just eat my asparagus :) Good luck though!

Made the must up last night. Ended up going with:

2kg woody asparagus ends
1.3kg Sugar
80g chopped saltanas (should i have left them whole?)
2 lemons (juice and rind)
1 Campden Tablet

Took some pics along the way as well.

928e45ea.jpg

The asparagus simmering away. Left it for about 20 mins.

4cd3b464.jpg

Sugar and bit all weighted out ready to have the hot aspargus liquior poured over it.

529c47d4.jpg

The must ready to go. Left it to cool over night and will pitch the yeast at lunch after transfering it to a DJ.

d2bf0917.jpg

Finally the spent asparagus.

I will let you know how this one developes. It certinally smelt of asparagus so only time will tell.

Interesting experiment. Will look forward to hearing about the results.

As a 'sufferer' of Asparagus pee I can see this being lethal in that department.

It was fermenting away nicely when i left it this morning (need to up[load a pic). Asparagus is very good for your kidneys apparently. I figure that it is best to drink wine that at least has some good properties to it :lol:

As promised her ar a couple of pics of my must fermenting away.

6b13ae51.jpg

b46fbdb3.jpg

This one is a bit fuzzy but you get the idea.

I have started collecting more stocks as I figure I really should have just done asparagus, water, sugar, acid, nutrient and yeast so if i get enough before the end of the season then that is what i will do. I am also contemplating doning the first week of fermentation on the pulp? we will see though.

It has now been fermenting for just over 2 weeks. It is not the nicest of smells coming off of it but i will reserve judgement till i have let it mature and and a taste.

As you can see from the pictures i added lemon rind and saltanas to the must. Should I have racked the wine off of them? or just let it ferment out on the saltanas and lemon then rack?

Racked this yesterday and had taste. It smells like asparagus pee and tastes :sick:

Should I clean the drains or keep it?

If you only made a gallon I'd be tempted to keep it in bulk storage and see how it tastes after a few months.

I've made 5 gallons of light ale but added elderflowers which has given it a peculiar taste , my OH is using it for slug traps in the garden! :sick:

I till have it but have very little hope for it. I suppose there is no harm in keeping it and seeing how it matures but the smell is very off putting. If i need the DJ in the future them I will clena my drains. untill then it is safe.

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

Latest posts

Back