Average brewers age ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
I wonder what the Average Age of the home brewer is.
I'm 28 and get odd looks from people when I mention my brewing, like it's reserved for the old and wrinkled .
it would be interesting to know what the average age is

I'm 34, got into homebrewing about a year ago, and also going AG very soon. I just need a 7 gallon brewing pot. I made a Mash Tun last week :D

On Tap: Oatmeal Milk Stout and Nukey Nut Brown Ale

Fermenting: Cranberry Wheat and Oktoberfest

Wolverine said:
get odd looks from people when I mention my brewing, like it's reserved for the old and wrinkled .

Same here, people think its an old mans thing!
Im 30. Been doing AG less than a year but did kits for around 4 years before that

im 45 been brewing 20 years not killed me yet :D AG for the last 4 years ,and hopefully many years to come :cheers:

I'm 34, been brewing proably around 5-6 years. Started on kits and now AG this last couple of years.

I'm got my brewing kit for my 25th birthday last September and started my first brew the same day, a Coopers Dark Ale which turned out lovely. After brewing a fair few beers I tried making wine kits not long after Christmas until I discovered the marvel that is WOW which is far nicer and a fraction of the price to make.

I got the same reaction when I told my mates about it, they seemed to have some strange idea that homebrew tastes weird, is brain meltingly strong and makes you go blind. After a bit of persuading that it wasn't poisonous or made in some kind of secret moonshine still in the middle of a forest they agreed to try it. There is something strangely satisfying about dispelling the stereotype and watching people reluctantly try it only to find they like it :twisted: .

Less of this ageism! I am 61 and have been brewing since the late seventies. I like to think that I'm not all that wrinkly :cheers:

I'm one of the old farts, 56 years old, brewing since 1977. Extract brewed for the 1st few then AG ever since.

I'm 17 but i'm 18 in 2 weeks (hense why i started a few weeks ago to get it ready for my party). my parents think i'm turning into a old man (no offense anyone) because i'm taking up the same hobby as my father and my grandfather.

I recon i'm the youngest here ? oh well!

Cheers

Andy

Nice one andy
I was brewing at 15 as a way of getting ****** cheap. then got a job and stopped for years
good to her I'm not the youngest brewer. my 8 week old stares at me while I'm brewing so does he count? Not old enough to help yet but I can see in his eyes he's got the bug ha ha

Started early 20's but stopped to have kid and get married. Boo.

K

I am averaging 42 at the moment :rofl: but feel like an 18 year old. Been brewing on and off for 20yrs but seriously for a year .

haha yeah well i'm helping my little brother with some brews.. and he's my little taster (doesnt drink more than a mouthful of any concuction) he's 13. so not too little, i think my age is pretty funny, because i'm taking it really seriously not just a little beer here or there, i really like this as a hobby! will help me a lot in university too, having a couple of hundred pints fermenting in my cuboard to take my mind off my coursework ;) haha.

Cheers

Andy

First time around: age 16 to age 21. Then started again last year at age 39, and was a publican for nearly ten years in between :D

Latest posts

Back