Backer power leads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchles1

Reaction score
hi, has anyone got a couple of old backer kettle power cords that they dont want or use, i am willing to pay a fair price and postage, its the one with two round and one flat connection.

I bought 3 elements at £12.95 each and 3 leads at £8.95 each in January from Backer.
They charged £4.17 handling and £5.00 p&p.
Trouble is they make the same charges even if you only buy one.
I agree they are expensive - I just prefer them to fiddling around with Tesco kettles.

Fair enough - I agree that's a big saving.
But although I am building my shiny set up myself, I'm no electrician so I decided to play safe, even if it costs me more.
The reason I posted that Backer sell the leads, is that the OP asked about Backer leads.
I didn't know if he knew that they sold them because they are not shown on their website.

I think its worth buying propper just incase I sell one day its all legit! Also the Backer elements and leads last forever. I have one from a 70's electrim boiler that still cleans up and works a charm! (NB the design hasnt changed since then ether!)

tazuk said:
are these the same as as pc power plug ?????? if so its called a hot plug i got mine from rs :thumb:

BE CAREFUL!!

You need to make sure you are using a plug rated 13A and which is designed to withstand the high power draw and temperatures of the kettle element. From experience I can tell you that after a while the PC cable will MELT! :eek:
Luckily for me it just tripped the fusebox a few times before we worked out what the problem was, but this could potentially be very dangerous.

Oldspeckledgit said:
I bought 3 elements at £12.95 each and 3 leads at £8.95 each in January from Backer.
They charged £4.17 handling and £5.00 p&p.
Trouble is they make the same charges even if you only buy one.
I agree they are expensive - I just prefer them to fiddling around with Tesco kettles.

How did you manage that ?

They are £18 each for kettle elements

http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/ ... roduct=293

13 amp plug 26a rated cable and c19 sockets (shurmer) from rs would feed a 3kw backer element no problem and for a reasonable price , I only add the sockets so you are not dragging plugs and leads when moving/sterilising the vessel

i was talking same type of plug ie rs hot type plug not a standard pc power lead i do KNOW A PC PLUG WILL MELT :rofl: look at my other post on here :thumb:

Sparge Pervert said:
tazuk said:
are these the same as as pc power plug ?????? if so its called a hot plug i got mine from rs :thumb:

BE CAREFUL!!

You need to make sure you are using a plug rated 13A and which is designed to withstand the high power draw and temperatures of the kettle element. From experience I can tell you that after a while the PC cable will MELT! :eek:
Luckily for me it just tripped the fusebox a few times before we worked out what the problem was, but this could potentially be very dangerous.

Back