Bad seal on fv...will it cause problems??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gethin79

Reaction score
Hi all...

Another question following my first brewing attempt!

Since my lager started fermenting, there has been no sign of any gas escaping through the airlock, however there is a strong smell coming from the bucket...as my wife keeps reminding me :roll: It appears it is leaking from the lid.

Whereas at the moment I don't think this is a problem, will it cause a problem once fermentation is complete? My thoughts are that if the CO2 can escape, then once it is stopped being produced, air will get into the fv. Will this cause me any problems? Will I have to keep a closer eye with the hydrometer and get it into bottles ASAP?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

No Non whats so ever you don't need a sealed container and bubbler,a loose fitting lid is fine. :thumb:

Gethin79 said:
Hi all...

Another question following my first brewing attempt!

Since my lager started fermenting, there has been no sign of any gas escaping through the airlock, however there is a strong smell coming from the bucket...as my wife keeps reminding me :roll: It appears it is leaking from the lid.

Whereas at the moment I don't think this is a problem, will it cause a problem once fermentation is complete? My thoughts are that if the CO2 can escape, then once it is stopped being produced, air will get into the fv. Will this cause me any problems? Will I have to keep a closer eye with the hydrometer and get it into bottles ASAP?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
CO2 escapes out of my FVs all the time, and I haven't had one infected beer.
I wouldn't worry mate! :thumb:

There is no problem with your fv dont worry about bubbles etc. Just go off your hydrometer readings . At present i use a coopers fv and they dont have airlocks the lid just sits on top . once you get same reading 3 days in a row it is prob ready to keg/bottle... vbol with your brewing

Try to put something heavy on the lid. For my FV I found this improved the seal and forced the CO2 to escape via the airlock. At least in the first few days of fermentation I find it reassuring to hear the airlock bubbling, just to know something is actually happening.

C02 is heavier than air so when the wort stops producing gas the air still won't get in as there will a blanket C02 on the surface.

You can't see it, but it's there!

K

That's good to know!!

Started the brew off in the kitchen, but it was getting far too warm so have put it in the conservatory where it is much cooler, wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Trouble is, I think the movement may have stirred things up a bit because the smell got instantly stronger and I'm getting it in the neck!! :?

Even when the yeast is finished fermenting there is still a layer if co2 above the wort which stops any air getting in. Its good not to seal completely so as to allow co2 to escape during fermentation as the yeast can end up dying from co2 poisoning...for want of a better term. It causes their membranes to burst.

Gethin79 said:
That's good to know!!

Started the brew off in the kitchen, but it was getting far too warm so have put it in the conservatory where it is much cooler, wrapped in a sleeping bag.

Trouble is, I think the movement may have stirred things up a bit because the smell got instantly stronger and I'm getting it in the neck!! :?

Don't worry about the sleeping bag. Lager will ferment quite happily at 10° C

Paddy said:
stops any air getting in. Its good not to seal completely so as to allow co2 to escape during fermentation as the yeast can end up dying from co2 poisoning...for want of a better term. It causes their membranes to burst.
Bit like if I strangled the wife?? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

BB

clibit said:
The Aussies put cling film over the FV - a lot of them do anyway. They say the CO2 escapes, and you get to watch everything and get to understand yeast activity. I may give it a try soon. Here's a discussion....
That's an interesting idea. I like the idea of being able to see everything that's going on inside the fermenter.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Bit like if I strangled the wife?? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
BB
...and lose my bottling assistant...never!! :lol:

I have up using a lid a while ago. Glad wrap and the rubber from the lid works a treat.
aju9a4en.jpg

pogierob said:
I have up using a lid a while ago. Glad wrap and the rubber from the lid works a treat.
aju9a4en.jpg

You leave any ventilation? I'm guessing it will find a way to vent itself, but I was thinking that too much co2 not escaping could negatively affect the fermentation? (it is a waste product of the yeast after all, and we hardly thrive when covered in our own ****)

I have never had a problem with fermentation this way.
The co2 does find its way out but the glad wrap allows it to build pressure to stop other nasty stuff getting in.

Remember some people simply ferment with a towel covering the fermenter (open ferment).

The slight pressure the co2 does build has no effect on the yeast activity. Keep in mind yeast can work under pressure and this is proven by bottle conditioning.

Or just get the new Coopers DIY fermenter, they are brilliant, can see everything that's going on as well as they are clear not opaque. Unbelievable price as well $89 gets you the fermenter, 30 x bottles, sugar, lager kit, hydrometer, mixing spoon and DVD. I've got 3 now! ;)

Latest posts

Back