Base Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
I normally brew IPA style brew with the odd dark beer I don't want to store a great deal of malts but do realise that buying uncrushed malt in bulk is way cheaper. Which base malts are best to buy bulk for IPA style brews

I use minch all the time its very good and the price isn't bad either, next week i am off to scotland for a week and will pick up a 25kg sack of pops pale from crafty maltsters on the way home, at 21 quid without postage its a good deal athumb..

I use minch all the time its very good and the price isn't bad either, next week i am off to scotland for a week and will pick up a 25kg sack of pops pale from crafty maltsters on the way home, at 21 quid without postage its a good deal athumb..
I’ve done 2 brews with the Crafty Malts so far (1 with the ale malt and one with the lager) and I’ve been impressed. I’ve not tasted either beer yet.

The ale malt boosted my efficiency significantly (even though it was only 60% of my grain bill) - my bitter hit 1.042 when my target was 1.038.

The lager didn’t give me such a significant boost, and was 90% of the grain bill, but again I exceeded my target (1.048 when target was 1.046).

Back