Beer with no head.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klemay83

Reaction score
Over the past couple of days I be cracked open a couple of bottles of my second AG brew with was Maris Otter, crystal and cascade. It tastes lovely, but there is no head whatsoever.... It's only been cold conditioning for about a week and a bit. I would like to make this again, and just wondered is there anything I could do or add that would give it a head?

Over the past couple of days I be cracked open a couple of bottles of my second AG brew with was Maris Otter, crystal and cascade. It tastes lovely, but there is no head whatsoever.... It's only been cold conditioning for about a week and a bit. I would like to make this again, and just wondered is there anything I could do or add that would give it a head?

Adding wheat malt is the suggested method, although I would not be much worried by a lack of head retention myself.

I've made very ordinary kit beers with marvelous clarity, a retaining head and wonderful lacing so geometrically perfect that one might turn into a doilly, but tasted nowhere near as good as my first full length BIAB Cascade IPA.

How much sugar did you prime it with?

Have you had it somewhere warm before the week cold conditioning?

Could be a number of things such as glassware, how you wash glassware and your bottles. How you pour the said beer.
I now used terrified wheat and always get a great head.

Yes I always store them somewhere warm first. I haven't had this issue with any of my other beers, so I'm just wondering if it was the recipe... I use a 1/2teaspoonful per 500ml bottle to prime.

Yes I always store them somewhere warm first. I haven't had this issue with any of my other beers, so I'm just wondering if it was the recipe... I use a 1/2teaspoonful per 500ml bottle to prime.

Not knowing how much is but I would think its not enough. Priming won't necessarily give you a good head. I like a nice thick head of about 2cm that stays all the way down the glass. For that you need better ingredient choice and good pouring technique.

The grain bill was 1.7kg of Mais Otter and 300g Crystal. 30g of Cascade. Split between the beginning and end of the boil.

Here is an example

image.jpg

All of the above plus you have only had them in the warm for one week.. carbonation doesn't fully happen within a week and sometimes not even two, after two in the warm and at least a few days in teh cold you may get better results..

So including the great advice above I would at leasy with this batch give it time

Thanks for the info folks. . I transferred it to my cold conditioning cupboard after it was over 2 weeks in the warm condition cupboard. I'll do another one in a few weeks and chuck in a couple hundred grams of Torrified wheat.

I use now use 100g Torrified Wheat when I boost the kits I do and since doing that have noticed that my beers has keep their head for longer.
I also have a clean glass regime. Every glass I use for beer gets washed rinsed and dried with a dedicated glasses cloth after use. Before using I give it a swill round with tap water. Doing this I never have those tiny bubbles on the inside of the glass which is a sign that the glass has a film of dirt/grease that will knock the head back quickly.

Did you use a secondary FV in the cold for a period before bottling? I started doing that to aid clarity and reduce bottle sedement, but despite postings on various forums saying there will be still be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate, there wasn't and I had a series of flat brews. Now gone back to bottling straight from the primary and my CO2 and heads are restored. :)

Torrified wheat. I put about 200/250g. And having done it in last few brews will always lob some in my brews now. Gets a nice head that stays down the glass and adds a bit of body to the beers. It's good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back