Beersmith 3.0

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm struggling a bit with the new water features in BS3 also.

My brewday regime is to treat all of the water in the HLT, my water has basically nothing in it and I'll only add Gypsum and Calcium Chloride, so I just calculate how much to add to 40l in the HLT then mash in and sparge from there. I usually have some water left over in the HLT but salts are cheap so I'm not worrying about that.

If I'm doing a dark/stout then I'll add bicarb directly to the mash.

I can't seem to get BS3 working for this approach as it demands either mash or sparge salts and doesn't allow a combination. I'd like to tell it that I'm adding 12g of Gypsum and 3g of Calcium Chloride to 40l used for both mash and sparge.

The only way around this I can think of is to do my usual treatment of 40l, then work out the proportion of salts based on strike and sparge volumes , so I can add these as ingredients - too much like hard work!

Or maybe I can create several new water profiles that match my water + salts?

I had this headache where I wanted separate mash and sparge treatment. This is down to how you setup your equipment profile.

The water tab inherits your volumes from the equipment and vols tab. If you set it at mash vol : 40 litres and sparge vol : 0 I think that will sort it for you. I’m away from home atm but I recall that’s how I fixed it so I got separate water treatments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t think it was worth paying for 98% of what I already have.

Without a CRS option, I don’t use the water adjustment section.

Does anyone know if Beersmith accounts for losses due to hop absorbtion when working out Total Water Volume?
:cheers7:

Answered my own question by tinkingering with a recipe :doh:- it would seem it doesn't

On the mash tab the recommendation on the bottom right for the amount of acid doesn't take into account the salts used so make sure you look at the Adjusted Mash pH if you're not measuring it yourself.

Is there a way of saving a recipe in a file type that can be uploaded?
I assume you mean uploaded onto this site?

You can save a report as a .txt file and upload that. As you can see, the site adds the .txt file to the bottom of a post, or simply cut and past the text from the file into your post.
Capture.PNG

Beersmith allows for custom reports, so you can make it prettier or select the only the info you want to share. http://beersmith.com/help2/index.html?custom_reports.htm

Attachments

• Vatted Brown Stout (See Notes).txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I used the phosphoric acid today for the 1st time and mash ph came in 0.2 lower than beersmith predicted.
Never had the mash ph so low before - I usually have the opposite problem.

Attachments

• 20180624_113132.jpg
    20180624_113132.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 84
EDIT: Have sent a message to Beersmith asking if CRS/AMS can be added as an Ingredient Add-on that adjusts the water parameters in the water section, like the salts do. Will post any reply I get.

"It may be possible for a future update but I would need to do some additional research.

Cheers!

Brad Smith"

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

For those using BS3, just wondered if there was any updated feedback now that you're all a few months into using it?

I'd only used the mobile version before getting V3 for the desktop, so don't know how it compares to previous versions, but I really like it.
I do all my recipe construction on BS now - having water and mash tabs for each brew makes adjusting the water profile really easy.
The only critisism I have is that the actual bitterness of the finished beer seems considerably lower than the calculated IBUs (on my set-up at least), but with a bit of trial and error I'm learning what to aim for.

The equations for bitterness are a bit of a **** shoot. This is a really good listen:
https://player.fm/series/basic-brewing-radio/ep-11-01-18-ibus-vs-wort-gravity-and-hop-stand-temps

Yeah I like the basic brewing podcast - that's a good episode. This one is also worth a listen: https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-32-ibu-lie
EDIT: 00:35:37 into the episode is where the IBU experiment bit starts.

I try to judge it by taste and adjust next time, just means most of my beers look off the bitterness chart for the style on BS

Last edited:
Bit of a bump on an older thread but wondering if there was anything further heard on CRS?

I'm trying to pop a recipe in but without being able to deal with CRS properly, the estimated mash pH is coming in too high. I'm not sufficiently proficient at this to know how to fudge around it.

I've not heard anything. A work around is to calculate your base water composition, post CRS addition. Then use beersmith.

If input your base water figures into the following calculator it will give you the adjusted Chloride and sulphite figures, after CRS addition. You should then be able to use beersmith to work out the other water additions.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html

I've not heard anything. A work around is to calculate your base water composition, post CRS addition. Then use beersmith.

If input your base water figures into the following calculator it will give you the adjusted Chloride and sulphite figures, after CRS addition. You should then be able to use beersmith to work out the other water additions.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html

Thanks - will give that a try!

So I just reduced my Bicarbonate (HCO3) figure in Beersmith to what it should be after the CRS addition. Left all other figures as per my water report and Salifert kit. It says my water is "very malty".

I've then chosen the target profile as Sweet Pale Ale and it's calculated a load of gypsum, epsom salt, calcium chloride and table salt additions, all of which I have. Hoping that's right!

I really need to do some proper reading on water chemistry!

Don't forget that as well as lowering bicarbonate CRS also adds sulphate and chloride. According to Murphys (who make CRS), an addition of 0.1 ml/l adds 6.4 ppm chloride and 8.6 ppm sulphate.

Don't forget that as well as lowering bicarbonate CRS also adds sulphate and chloride. According to Murphys (who make CRS), an addition of 0.1 ml/l adds 6.4 ppm chloride and 8.6 ppm sulphate.

Thanks - what's the bicarbonate reduction rate? Maybe I can knock up a quick spreadsheet to do the calcs and, if it works, post it on here.

FYI: the supporters version of Brunwater supports CRS directly. When you've run out of CRS do yourself a favour and replace it with phosphoric acid.

Latest posts

Back