Biscuit Smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

I completed my first All grain brew on sunday, maris otter smash.

The question is when I was boiling my grains, I had a very strong warm biscuit smell coming from them. And my wort was very sweet tasting once I put it in the FV.

Is this correct or should I have been noticing some other smell.

My hops I put in was EKG for bittering.

And Cascade for aroma..

Thanks

Looks good if you did not boil your grains, but mashed them between 62° C and 70° C. I suppose so since your wort tasted sweet, which it more or less should. That is the secret of brewing beer: starches are converted to sugars when malted and crushed barley is mixed with hot water at the temperatures shown here. This sugar is then converted to alcohol by the yeast. After the mash you boiled them with the hops. Actually, you can get two smells: the smell of the mash, and after filtering the mash and boiling the wort, the smell of the boil.

That's alright then athumb..
Biscuit smell is about right depending on the grains, and my wort always tastes like sweet tea when it goes into the fv.
The hop flavours will come out more as it ferments.

I love the smell of a mash. Makes me think of malted milk biscuits.SWMBO on the other hand hates it!
I had to make my wife an ovaltine when I brewed my bock as the 50:50 golden promise and munich grain bill made the house smell like horlicks during the mash. She's not so keen on the hoppier boil smell which hangs around after brewing but at least she likes my beer.

Mine doesn't have a problem with either smell, and I always brew on Friday evenings, in the kitchen.

Ha Ha Lol,
Mine is okay with the smell, the kids are not to happy as I ferment them in my eldest bedroom.

Just had a quick look at it today and it has gone down to 1010 in 5 days
I think I am going to leave it the full 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary for 4 days then stick it in the bottle

Ha Ha Lol,
Mine is okay with the smell, the kids are not to happy as I ferment them in my eldest bedroom.

I think I am going to leave it the full 2 weeks and then transfer to a secondary for 4 days then stick it in the bottle
Good. Always leave it 2 weeks. No peaking, no fiddling, just patience.

Ha Ha Lol,

Its not the smell he doesn't like but he cannot sleep because of the noisy airlock

Big D I if you have any OPAL Hops why don't you try a OPAL hop tea for the last 4 days once you rack off.

Latest posts

Back