Bit of a nightmare brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed on Sunday 10th Jan, all went fine until I came to cool the wort, I have a counter-flow chiller with a UK garden hose attachment only so I usually just connect the counter-flow chiller to an external tap with a hose for every brew, pumping the wort through the chiller with my all-in-one system built-in pump. Sadly this Sunday the tap and hose were frozen solid. I tried but failed to get the tap to work. Ended up leaving the wort covered and cooled naturally for about 5 hours before I could get the tap going again. I had also rehydrated the US05 yeast which I just left covered in a cupboard for 5 hours too. I eventually pitched the yeast and now hope for the best. 24 hours on the airlock isn't bubbling yet but there is pressure as the water is being pushed round the U-bend. I hope rehydrating yeast for 5 hours before pitch doesn't kill it, anyone know ? thanks

Brewed on Sunday 10th Jan, all went fine until I came to cool the wort, I have a counter-flow chiller with a UK garden hose attachment only so I usually just connect the counter-flow chiller to an external tap with a hose for every brew, pumping the wort through the chiller with my all-in-one system built-in pump. Sadly this Sunday the tap and hose were frozen solid. I tried but failed to get the tap to work. Ended up leaving the wort covered and cooled naturally for about 5 hours before I could get the tap going again. I had also rehydrated the US05 yeast which I just left covered in a cupboard for 5 hours too. I eventually pitched the yeast and now hope for the best. 24 hours on the airlock isn't bubbling yet but there is pressure as the water is being pushed round the U-bend. I hope rehydrating yeast for 5 hours before pitch doesn't kill it, anyone know ? thanks
It's probably not ideal but unlikely to be desperate either. I have had some quiet long lag times with US05 and I don't think 24 hours is unheard of. Patience may yet be rewarded.

I once waited, certianly in excess of 24 hours for US 05 to show any signs of life

I was concerned that leaving rehydrated yeast at room temperature for 5 Hours would kill it but thankfully it’s bubbling away nicely now. Note to self - make sure water supply isn’t frozen before starting brew day.

I spent a lot of time on my brew day on Sunday thawing out the outside tap for my immersion chiller. I did it eventually by using a hair drying on it. One good thing is once it’s working the temperature of the ground water means the wort chilled in no time 🍻

I was concerned that leaving rehydrated yeast at room temperature for 5 Hours would kill it but thankfully it’s bubbling away nicely now. Note to self - make sure water supply isn’t frozen before starting brew day.
I think the only thing the yeast would have been stressing over is being woken up, and not getting breakfast for five hours, they must have been bloody starving.

Latest posts

Back