Blockages

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will have a read shortly, got stuff to do at the moment 🙁
One thing I've noticed about Brulosophy is that they rarely (the ones I've bothered reading) reach a definitive conclusion 🤔. As such I prefer the views of actual fellow brewers (yourself and many others), before trying things out. Personal experience is a wonderful teacher

Cheers Tom

Tom one maybe shouldn't take the Brulosophy experiments too literally, but this is worth a read: exBEERiment | Kettle Trub: Low Vs. High In A German Pils

Just had a read. I'm sure I've seen that one before, maybe even earlier in this thread.
My take on it is that there's no major implications of having a shed load of trub in the fermenter. Maybe we shouldn't deliberately dump it all in (unless it suits your needs), but some, no big deal.
I think the plan for my next brew will be to boil with pellets loose in the kettle, cool and remove chiller then leave to stand (covered) for an hour or so before starting to drain unfiltered from the tap. I know others have had success with the trub settling below the tap inlet enabling them to drain clear wort into the fermenter.
Will report back in a week or so.

Cheers Tom

Just had a read. I'm sure I've seen that one before, maybe even earlier in this thread.
My take on it is that there's no major implications of having a shed load of trub in the fermenter. Maybe we shouldn't deliberately dump it all in (unless it suits your needs), but some, no big deal.
I think the plan for my next brew will be to boil with pellets loose in the kettle, cool and remove chiller then leave to stand (covered) for an hour or so before starting to drain unfiltered from the tap. I know others have had success with the trub settling below the tap inlet enabling them to drain clear wort into the fermenter.
Will report back in a week or so.

Cheers Tom
Will be very interested to hear how it works for you athumb.. FWIW I just dump it all in (less the hop debris!) and have never had any problem with the beer clearing down after a few weeks in the keg

At the brewery we dumped the lot from the kettle into the the fermenter, when every thing had settled the trub is dumped from the fermenter.
The beauty of conical's and the reason we use coagulants. It isn't just about clarity, cold conditioning will take care of that no matter what is in the fermenter.
It is about the quality of the finished product and the well being of the yeast.

Emma

Brew day went smoothly enough. No issues apart from a lower that expected yield but I have my own theory about that and will change a variable next brew.
The hours settling time seems to have been successful enough
IMG_20220402_143610.jpg

It's not really clear from the picture but most of the crud (technical term) looks like it was left behind.
Brew is all wrapped up, so we shall see what the next few weeks hold

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back