Boiler built!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm,

I must have cocked something up. No power - not heating up.

Anyone know what you have to do to get these cordless kettle elements to work? Do you have to make a connection somewhere as I've obviously discarded the switch.

Bugger. I'll get the multimeter out.

GN :evil:

Green Ninja said:
Thank you Mrs. Doyle :rofl:

I found this Lady out in disguise whilst in Ireland last year....

DSCF0418.jpg

Solder joint failed when it heated up.

All solved and working now with 2 elements and holding water ok. And my God it don't take long to boil 20 litres with both elements on.

Now the hop strainer has been added so I reckon I'm finished.

GN

Green Ninja said:
Solder joint failed when it heated up.

Which is why you don't want to be using solder joints in high temperature systems. Much better to use a decent crimp.

Tim

evanvine said:
timbim said:
Much better to use a decent crimp.
Crimp joints; now there's a pig in a poke!
I would sooner rely on a solder joint, 100C is not a high temp.
Provided you get it right . . .otherwise you increase the resistance between the wire and the 'connector' . . Pass a current through a resistance and you get heat . . .more than enough to melt solder . . . and the joint fails . . with potentially dangerous consequences. When working at mains level the preferred method is to use proper crimp connections . . . even at the low voltage end in domestic installations . . when you start going up to 415V or 600V . . . it is all crimp!

Aleman said:
Provided you get it right
I could not agree more Tony. :thumb:
The same is also true of crimp joints, which I discoverd in my younger days whilst fitting a "gizzmo" to my car. :eek:
I personally prefer soldered joints, having made tens of thousands of them in my elctromechanical career.

Basically bad electrical joints are like bad plumbing joints except you can't immediately see water pissing everywhere.

Latest posts

Back