Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of the day, I suppose he's only really interested in promoting his bottleshop these days: Here's a Quote on Facebook about the prizes - "Matt and Dan will be flying down to Falmouth courtesy of LAUTER Bottleshop + Brewspace for a Brewday with Pipelinebrewco + a very beery weekend around Cornwall". Not, "Matt and Dan will be flying down to Falmouth courtesy of Brewcon...." Tells you all you need to know about the self-promotion with this guy really.
Says all you need to know really. He's in it for the business opportunity and not for the benefit of the homebrew community. That is borne out in the fact he hasn't prioritised the uploading of results and is so keen to prevent negative publicity on social media.

I still don’t have my score for my NEIPA. Don’t think I’m going to chase it, I’m curious to see how long it’ll take unprompted.

I still don’t have my score for my NEIPA. Don’t think I’m going to chase it, I’m curious to see how long it’ll take unprompted.
Me too, for my American IPA. Also interested to see if I ever get feedback.

If I do, I’m expecting a score of 37 and one of the comments will probably say the beer was nice and clear. 😂

Says all you need to know really. He's in it for the business opportunity and not for the benefit of the homebrew community. That is borne out in the fact he hasn't prioritised the uploading of results and is so keen to prevent negative publicity on social media.
Well, if he runs his business like he runs the BCWS he's got no chance.

After four days he'll acknowledge your order. Three weeks later he'll send you 3 beers. The next day, another 3 beers. The next day, 2 beers and then 3 more beers the day after that, promising to send the rest in the next week. You'll then wait another unknown amount of time for the remaining beers to be sent, after numerous promises. Then, you'll finally receive your last ones.........and they'll be past their best. 😂

In defence of Simon, I don't think there's anything malicious going on, and I'm really not sure if there's much in the way of business benefit in Brewcon. Let's put it this way - he's not diving into a swimming pool of cash that's come from Brewcon. At least in the first year he ran it at a loss from his own pocket.

That's not to say I don't have criticism for the way the Brewcon competitions have been run, but I think the issues are apparent enough on here already.

In defence of Simon, I don't think there's anything malicious going on, and I'm really not sure if there's much in the way of business benefit in Brewcon. Let's put it this way - he's not diving into a swimming pool of cash that's come from Brewcon. At least in the first year he ran it at a loss from his own pocket.

That's not to say I don't have criticism for the way the Brewcon competitions have been run, but I think the issues are apparent enough on here already.
Fair cop. Just frustrated that with the way it has been run. People have put a lot of time and effort into brewing beers for the competition and incurred costs from entering and shipping. They deserve a lot better.

Fair cop. Just frustrated that with the way it has been run. People have put a lot of time and effort into brewing beers for the competition and incurred costs from entering and shipping. They deserve a lot better.

Exactly, but more importantly people want honest and clear communication

I do agree on both counts, and as someone that is closely involved with other BJCP competitions I share everyone's frustrations.

I hope it doesn't discourage people from entering other competitions - The National will open up some more entries on Monday, and LAB Open will be opening for entries shortly after that. If you can make it to the Sunday festival part of LAB Open it's great fun, my favourite day of the year.

I do agree on both counts, and as someone that is closely involved with other BJCP competitions I share everyone's frustrations.

I hope it doesn't discourage people from entering other competitions - The National will open up some more entries on Monday, and LAB Open will be opening for entries shortly after that. If you can make it to the Sunday festival part of LAB Open it's great fun, my favourite day of the year.
Very much aware it's a one-off issue and not representative of other BJCP events. I've already entered the National and will definitely be entering LAB Open - it was a great competition last year. athumb..

Last edited:

The LAB comp last year was excellent. I got a 1st and a 4th, and had all my feedback and prizes within 12 days of the completion (and that was with the organiser going on holiday)

I’m entering the Scottish and the National this year (unfortunately I have a beer being entered in both). Not sure about the LAB because I’m brewing for an “away day” with some friends in early June so concerned time might be a factor, if I do it’ll just be one entry. Tempted to hold back a few bottles of my Helles to defend my Pale & Malty Lager title 😂

I also want to brew a few beers that I’d been avoiding because they don’t fit style guidelines (not done my Sorachi saison since pre-COVID)

Last edited:
I think they've cottoned on to the fact people have been talking and giving everyone 37 was really obvious that they lost the sheets. So are varying it a bit to try and throw you all off the scent.

Ahh, got an email that prizes will be sent out shortly. And that whilst Brew Con will be happening in the future, the World Series competition will not be.

Latest posts

Back