Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see that the prizes are in the process of being sorted. A bit odd the rosettes have only just been ordered though - that surely should have been done before the event?

Not all that surprised that they are throwing in the towel on the competition as it's clearly too much for them. I have just suggested they consider whether they could get some help from the homebrew community though as there is plenty people could help them with if they just asked.

1673637637455.gif

Hey guys. Just wanted to apologise for the shambolic feedback situation. No excuses, even with the strikes etc I should have got everyone their feedback and scores quicker.

I do just want to say that every beer was speed judged by four BJCP Certified judges at the event and then re-judged at a later date by myself alongside their feedback. Not conventional BJCP by any means but we had 80+ beers left to judge and I improvised.

As I’ve posted I won’t be holding the World Series alongside BrewCon going forward. We may get a separate club or group to organise a smaller comp if that’s a possibility.

All feedback was genuine. There were a lot of high scoring beers. Many scored 37, some scored a bit higher some lower but every single scoresheet with my name to it meant I had that beer in front of me.

I am a Certified BJCP judge with 40+ points, and as a few of you have pointed out I run a Bottleshop. I am fully qualified to judge Beer so the scores you got are the scores the beer deserved.

I won’t touch on the comments I’m in it for the $$$ as that’s silly. BrewCon just about breaks even, without counting the time I put into it. I continuously encourage every club in the UK to launch their own homebrew events.

I hope each and every one of you comes to BrewCon this year to experience the event itself which I believe is a great addition to the homebrew community. It’s fun & it’s cheap. I’ll even shout you a beer if you come and say hello.

Anyway sorry for the essay.

Simon

Hey guys. Just wanted to apologise for the shambolic feedback situation. No excuses, even with the strikes etc I should have got everyone their feedback and scores quicker.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the detailed insight and explanation. The lack of clear communication is what most people have been missing, which has resulted in most of the frustration you'll have seen here and on social media.

I think we can all sympathise that the rail strikes threw up some unexpected challenges that required some creative thinking to deal with. If we'd known that the judging/feedback process had needed to be adapted as a result then I think there would have been a lot more patience all round.

I'd also like to apologise for the comments I made about you only being in it for the business opportunity. As mentioned in a previous post that was borne out of frustration but was completely wide of the mark.

Best of luck with this year's event (will hopefully see you there) and fingers crossed you can find a solution to retain the competition element.

Last edited:
Meanwhile….. take it no one has ever seen a prize or rosette or anything?

Shocking. Lots of people have been chasing it on Facebook too by the looks of it.

The 2023 Brew Con event (minus the homebrew competition) is now being promoted on their website. I do wonder how many people will attend given how much of the target audience they have ****** off.

I had initially contacted on the 19th of March and had a response on the April the 8th saying that the rosettes should be with him mid April and the sponsors came through with the prizes. That he'd get everything out as soon as he has the rosettes. I have since asked for an update on the 8th of May but no further response. It took 3 weeks to respond to the first one.

I had initially contacted on the 19th of March and had a response on the April the 8th saying that the rosettes should be with him mid April and the sponsors came through with the prizes. That he'd get everything out as soon as he has the rosettes. I have since asked for an update on the 8th of May but no further response. It took 3 weeks to respond to the first one.

It all smells fishy to me. Ever since the competition there have been no end of lies and false promises made regarding results, feedback sheets and prizes.

The rosettes were supposedly ordered in January (although why they weren't ordered before the competition is a mystery to me). Unless they were being hand sewn and delivered by foot from New Zealand then they would have arrived long before April.

Bottom line is that the homebrew competition isn't a priority for him. If it was then all of this would have been long sorted.

Last edited:
Rosettes should be available on the day for anyone going to watch the results surely?

It all seems very suspicious - he must have been sitting on the prizes for months.

I notice the Best of Show prize was supposedly being provided by the organiser’s bottle shop.

Just looking back on this thread, I thought he had come on here and explained himself, can't find anything? I'm not on Facebook or twitter, what's his nam

Simon Pipola. He did post once, further up the page, but it was in relation to the long wait for feedback. No mention of anything relating to rosettes/prizes.

I assume some of the prizes will have been provided by sponsors as with other competitions. I wonder what they make of it or if they even know they haven't been delivered.

Latest posts

Back