Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble is....if he wasn't uploading the scores to the website as the scoresheets were being returned from judges on the day, and just used a manual paper process to generate the results that were read out, then he still needs to do all that work before simply pressing the button that will cause results to be published on the main front page of the site.

Trouble is....if he wasn't uploading the scores to the website as the scoresheets were being returned from judges on the day, and just used a manual paper process to generate the results that were read out, then he still needs to do all that work before simply pressing the button that will cause results to be published on the main front page of the site.
I assumed he was using the website as an e-mail went out on Friday saying that they'd had to mark all beers as 'received' so they could start judging.

If not then I guess we still have a bit of a wait ahead. Wouldn't be so bad if he could explain that and say 'aiming to have results published by X' rather than keeping us all guessing.

I assumed he was using the website as an e-mail went out on Friday saying that they'd had to mark all beers as 'received' so they could start judging.

If not then I guess we still have a bit of a wait ahead. Wouldn't be so bad if he could explain that and say 'aiming to have results published by X' rather than keeping us all guessing.
He should never have posted yesterday saying they’d be uploaded “shortly”.

To me, shortly is within the next hour or 2. We are currently at 19hrs+ and counting.

The underlying website structure is quite process driven.....you cant do C without doing B first but you cant do B without doing A. So...nothing can be done without registering those entries that have arrived.

But with regard to judging.....once the pull sheets (the list of beers that will be judged on each "table") and score sheets and the results summary sheet have been printed off then as long as the organiser can keep track of all the pieces of paper, the entire process can be manual with no recourse to the computer. It depends on whether the comp organiser had a dedicated place (as free as possible from the distractions around him) to sit himself, with his computer, to operate as a "nerve centre" and directly log the results into the comp website software as each table returned their scores/placings.

If the organiser was here there and everywhere, flitting between the comp and the BrewCon event itself...then it's quite possible that a fully manual paper operation was employed.

I can imagine the logistics of running a beer competition are pretty intense!
They can be....but as long as you have enough resources (people) who know their roles and how they fit in to the big picture, along with a defined structure of how you plan to operate on the day....then, although the day itself can be "busy", things should work relatively smoothly.

The real work is all the pre-amble.... receiving the beers, storing them, defining the tables, allocating judges and stewards so there are no conflicts of interest (i.e. judges and stewards don't work on tables containing their own beers). Even basic stuff such a "waste management"....the amount of cardboard, excess packaging etc that needs to be dealt with can be immense.... especially with a big comp of a couple of hundred entries.....and that's before you even think about disposing of all the half empty bottles and the remaining bottles that are left unopened!!!

This sounds like the fun bit 😂

Yes. It's called "organiser rewards" :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

To be fair though....unless you are armed with a scoresheet and know what entries the best beers are...it's a bit like playing Russian Roulette as normally at the end of the day you are knackered and just want to tidy up and get off home... so it's a case of grabbing a boxful of random bottles and taking pot luck with what you get.

Strange to do it in stages, the overall table keeps updating.
Yeah every time I refresh there’s more there.

None of mine placed, but there’s only my witbier (that was a refined recipe of the one that finished 4th at LAB) that I had high hopes for. I ended up rebranding my Kolsch as a kellerbier because it refused to clear after 2 months lagering 😂

Latest posts

Back