Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From their Facebook page:

'First three categories are uploaded. Rest to follow in week, pal.'

Have asked whether that includes feedback sheets or is just scores for now.

Everything being uploaded last week was clearly BS so don't hold your breath that the rest will be done this week...

Everything being uploaded last week was clearly BS so don't hold your breath that the
stick a link. Enough is enough.
rest will be done this week...

Edit - found it

The score for my witbier is up but not the sheet. I scored 32, which was less than the previous version of the same beer scored at LAB (34). Disappointed a little because the LAB beer was marked down for a “harsh pithy bitterness” which I sorted out for this version so was hoping for at least a 36.

I fully expect the feedback to be mainly “intangibles”, much like it was in the LAB comp so I have very little chance of working out how I improve my score. I’m assuming at that level it’s mainly judge’s personal preference.
For a beer in the low 30s there should be some clear guidance from the judge on how to improve the beer. High 30s is much harder.

In general I would look at the BJCP style guide and see where the judges comments differed. They should at least be telling you where the beer differed from them.

For a beer in the low 30s there should be some clear guidance from the judge on how to improve the beer. High 30s is much harder.

In general I would look at the BJCP style guide and see where the judges comments differed. They should at least be telling you where the beer differed from them.
Last time the only comments that weren’t positive were the pithy bitterness which I was aware of (accidentally got some orange peel in the fermenter and then the keg), and “intangibles” so I was fully expecting that by upping the oats and coriander and eliminating the bitterness issue that it would score high 30s. No score sheets up yet so I’ll just have to wait and see.

TBF, as long as my score is over 30 and they are saying it’s been well brewed with no off flavours I’m not overly bothered if the rest of the score was just not quite hitting the style guidelines. I only brew for me, but I do find the competitions useful for feedback.

Last edited:
TBF, as long as my score is over 30 and they are saying it’s been well brewed with no off flavours I’m not overly bothered if the rest of the score was just not quite hitting the style guidelines. I only brew for me, but I do find the competitions useful for feedback.

Exactly the same here.. If its over 30 i'm pretty chuffed as basically two judges are saying the beer is good and my process is working well.

Everything being uploaded last week was clearly BS so don't hold your breath that the rest will be done this week...

Whenever someone says 'pal' I always imagine it's being said in a Scottish accent and in a not particularly friendly way. 🤣

So anyone else in the first 3 categories that have their feedback sheets? both of my beers were in the 2 category and I still only have scores. Just trying to work out what was 'uploaded'

So anyone else in the first 3 categories that have their feedback sheets? both of my beers were in the 2 category and I still only have scores. Just trying to work out what was 'uploaded'
No feedback sheets for me - I have a suspicion that none of the feedback sheets will be visible to us until they've been uploaded for all tables.

Oh well, that's good at least! I'm on the last end of the tables for all my brews, so I will be waiting a while....

My feedback sheets are up now. More constructive than the LAB feedback so I’m happy with them.

Carbonation was too low (I think that’s an issue from bottling from keg), and it needed more citrus character (I’d upped the coriander and reduced the citrus based on feedback from the LAB comp 😂 but my personal preference is for more orange so I agree on that point). They both thought it could do with being a little drier too so I’ll mash lower next time.

One judge said it wasn’t hazy enough and head retention not good enough but the other judge said my head retention was good with nice lacing. Not sure what the deal is with the haze because it was as hazy as my NEIPA when it was packaged. Dropped out in transit?

Last edited:
Anyone got scores up for American IPA yet? Large category so I suspect I’ll be waiting shortly…

Anyone got scores up for American IPA yet? Large category so I suspect I’ll be waiting shortly…
Not yet - I'm assuming that they'll be uploaded this evening or tomorrow evening if they stick to their word and are working through 2-3 tables a day. Not got a great track record so far though...

Feedback is really detailed so really happy with the effort the judges went to and some nice pointers on how the judges think the recipe should be tweaked to score better. They both said that both submissions were good beers and seemingly liked them overall.

Hopefully I can look to dial in the IPA a bit more ready for the next comp.

Disappointing that its taken over 3 weeks to get hold of the feedback, and clearly still some days further for some entrants to get theirs.

I’d like to have some of my IPA left in the keg so I can compare but running low so hopefully not too long a wait ..

Back