Brewing Crossroads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How does brewing fit into your life?

• 3. It's a source of income

• 4. It's my sole source of income

• 1. It's just a hobby

• 2. It's a hobby but I also have a licence and sell beer to re-coup costs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Baz Chaz said:
alawlor66430 said:
That's the way to do it lol, I'm sure some people would say it's wrong but whats a bit fair trade between mates, imagine how much spuds you'd get for 8 bottles of your finest

Unfortunately the 'authorities' use the phrase of 'money' like in the phrase 'for moneys worth', basically they can actually tax you on the monetary value of whatever you're offering to barter, if it be services, ie an accountant offering to do a mechanics books in return for servicing his car, both can actually be taxed. In practice they're not usually looking at small things like a couple of mates bartering like me and my oppo doing the 'Beer for Bambi' deal, it's not worth their efforts, they have to prove 'best value' to their masters, not enough profit chasing little deals ........... luckily :roll:
And it's worse with beer because there is duty to pay.

Let's keep this on topic please guys :thumb:

The forum does not condone the breaking of the law in any way whatsoever - anything which could be seen to incite or encourage the breaking of the law is likely to get this thread locked :nono:

Whoops, sorry :oops:

I understand - HMRC can be strict on what counts as a "trade". As a member of another forum we did crafty swaps at Christmas etc, and we thought it would be a nice idea to barter each other's handmade things (knitted, sewn etc) through the site. The problem was HMRC could consider the trades a taxable transaction, since it wasn't "gifts" :roll:

T'was only for some pretty flowers :mrgreen:
spring_flowers_2210_zps684121d5.jpg

Apologies for going so off topic, back to the original topic - I've tried selling my knitting and sewing, but it's much more fun as a hobby, stressful as a business. Obviously that's not quite the same scale as microbrewing, that's gotta be stressful to start up! But if you've got good recipes and plenty of enthusiasm, it could be great, and others have given great tips on how to start. If you just want a little extra money from your hobby, maybe you could teach some brewing classes?

alawlor66430 said:
Was it the mention of trading with mates ?

No, I doubt a bit of swapping between friends would cause much upset. Unless I am mistaken there was the suggestion of swapping beer for "herbal" substances for the smoking thereof.

Thanks guys, as i suspected its all or nothing and am not sure i have enough to offer for it to be "all". Will have a read of the links and suggested books though.

Thanks again

Back