Brewtools counterflow chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyurmaember

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm eyeing to get a counterflow chiller from Brewtools, mostly because it looks like it's very easy to keep it clean and sanitary. Does anyone have experience with it?

Pricey!

I've been looking at either the Grainfather one or the Coolossus (also on Malt Miller - but £128) as my chiller is ineffective and I'm both concerned about the amount of water I use and the lack of a drain near my outside brewing space where I can dispose of any excess after cleaning.

I thought that copper was a better conductor hence why most chillers were made from that? I agree that stainless is easier to clean and keep sanitary.

Pricey!

I've been looking at either the Grainfather one or the Coolossus (also on Malt Miller - but £128) as my chiller is ineffective and I'm both concerned about the amount of water I use and the lack of a drain near my outside brewing space where I can dispose of any excess after cleaning.

I thought that copper was a better conductor hence why most chillers were made from that? I agree that stainless is easier to clean and keep sanitary.
I'll have 1 for sale for sure, maybe 2 if my plans became reality(hence the question). I had no time to photograph them yet, the 1st one is 5 years old, with 20 brews, according the previous owner, the second one is less than a year old with 18 brews, I got that since it was new. Keep an eye of the for sale topics of the forum, I'll try to list them as soon as I can.

Coolossus more efficient than the SS immersion chiller the Guten came with. Also allows me to chill and whirlpool. I believe kegland bring out a copy of brewtools counter flow next year.

Does seem to be a bit more expensive than comparable versions. I used the chiller that came with my grainfather for the first time over the weekend, it was massively faster than my old immersion chiller.

Copper is a better conductor, but steel isn’t too far behind, and it’s just one factor in determining a chiller’s performance. In my experience the surface area of the chiller and coolant flow rate have a greater impact.

Interesting topic so far, neither convinced nor turned off. Thanks for the input, I might give a call for Malt Miller, but I guess everything is for sale for them, they'll gonna convince me to buy.

Latest posts

Back