Californian Common (anchor steam)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMumbler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Attempt at an anchor steam clone

OG 1051
FG 1013
abv 4.9%
IBU 32
Colour 12 lovibond (~24 EBC)

4500g Golden Promise
450g crystal

20 Northern Brewer (9.2) @ 60 mins
30 Northern Brewer (9.2) @ 15 mins
30 Northern Brewer (9.2) @ 0 mins

yeast: WLP 810 Sanfrancisco Lager

The yeast says 14-18*C is the optimum temp range which should be OK for leaving out in the house while it is cold here. Or would you recommend going cooler?

I thought a traditional Californian Common was based on using lager yeast at ale temps...If I'm wrong, I stand corrected :hmm:

Thanks for the reply UP, I doubt it'll get much over 18*C.

Ceejay said:
I thought a traditional Californian Common was based on using lager yeast at ale temps...If I'm wrong, I stand corrected :hmm:
I think that is what I'm doing here Ceejay. According to whitelabs this yeast will ferment cleaner down to 10*C for pilsners, lagers etc. but they recommend 14-18, so I assume that is the temperature band recommended for the Californian Common style since WLP 810 is the yeast they sell for that style (it is the yeast used in Anchor Steam according to Mr Malty). Not really sure what would happen if you took a more "normal" lager yeast, but I guess it might well give you the same sort of result. For example the Czech Budjovice yeast I bought to ferment the product of some future decoction madness with recommends use at 10-13 but I imagine you could ferment it at 14-18, just not for a traditional, clean, lager taste. There really is a lot to learn about yeast in this brewing lark :)

Definitely. We all get bogged down with worrying about what malt and hops to use etc! That's what's so great about HB though; there's so many different factors - that if you change one by just a tiny bit, it can have a pround effect on the final outcome.

It's hard not to get philisophical about beer. Especially when you've had a skinful! :cheers:

California Commons developed in the late 1800s when California brewers tried to produce lagers (using lager yeast) but lacked refrigeration equipment. So they fermented warmer than traditional lager fermenting temps and were unable to lager the beer in the traditional sense. It was kind of considered a cheap crappy beer for miners and other workers.

The currently available Cali Common yeasts are supposed to be "hybrid" yeasts that have lager characteristics but fall in a range too warm for most lagers and too cold for most ales. I don't know if they are more closely related to lager yeast or ale. I just ferment with it around 55F - 58F and it turns out great!

-baz

Just picked this one up again, if you want a quick cleanish lager in a very short time (ie ale time), ferment the first 7days at the lower lager temp then raise to 18-20 deg gradually over the next 7 days you want the last 3 to be within 18-20deg band, then crash cool to drop the yeast out, this will give you a clean lager beer as most of the flavour comes from the first few days of fermenting the second weeks high temp fermentation gets rid of the sulphur and other nasty flavours, and allows you to skip a long lagering process.

Just looked at my recipe for anchor steam in clone brews and it reccomends 16-19deg fermentation temp.

How did it turn out Ben ?

UP

Early tastings were encouraging, however I had a bottle last night and it was a bit appley which is a worry. It wasn't terrible but not what I was aiming for and a potential problem. I didn't get that flavour with the mild I did using the same yeast, even when very young. Could be something that will ease off with time or a fault...maybe just a duff bottle. I'd have to check my notes but my memory is that fermentation was just in house temperatures (last brew before I set up the brew fridge).

After consulting Palmer; apple tastes are from acetaldehyde, but he says " generally its presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition" so hopefully all will be well :thumb:

Info on this beer is available from the brewer. Check out The Brewing Network.com Sunday session for 3-27-11.

shroppie said:
Info on this beer is available from the brewer. Check out The Brewing Network.com Sunday session for 3-27-11.

It is a very informative program that one well worth a listen if you get the chance, you can also download them from ITUNES, I listen to all the sunday sessions in the car on route to and from work.

UP

Latest posts

Back