Can't get pH above 7

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skulltat280

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks, trying to make my thin bleach sanitizer but can't get the pH above 7. I'd like it to be 7.5/8

There's probably a simple way to raise it but I'm unaware, I just followed a dilution guide online but still wanted to check the pH.

You need to add a bit of sodium bicarbonate. I suppose that you best start with an amount between 0,1 and 1 g, depending upon the amount of your sanitizer. If you have a pH meter handy, and are able to add per 0,1 g, then stir, you will probably get there.

My amounts are based upon experience with correcting pH in an imperial stout mash of about 8 litre.

Just read it works best at 8, but a more scientific allowance was between 7.2 and 7.8

Was afraid if too low it wouldn't sterilise properly

What exactly are you making? I'm pretty sure bleach is a much better sanitiser at a low pH because there's more hypochlorous acid compared to hypochlorite in solution.

Last edited:
Hi folks, trying to make my thin bleach sanitizer but can't get the pH above 7. I'd like it to be 7.5/8

There's probably a simple way to raise it but I'm unaware, I just followed a dilution guide online but still wanted to check the pH.
Go to a hydroponic shop and buy a small bottle of pH Up

Just read it works best at 8, but a more scientific allowance was between 7.2 and 7.8
Nope, at a Ph of 7.5 that's pretty much where it stops being effective. For max effectiveness you see values online anywhere from 4 to 6 as there's plenty of killing power in that range.

You don't really want to go lower because that when you're going to start offgassing chlorine. You've got to make up a new solution every day because the stability of bleach falls with its pH.

Last edited:
What exactly are you making? I'm pretty sure bleach is a much better sanitiser at a low pH because there's more hypochlorous acid compared to hypochlorite in solution.
It's a no rinse sanitizer. I eventually got it to between 7 and 7.5 after much ballsing about

But when I checked the previous used strips most were good. Not sure it they're supposed to to take that long for a reading, it was about an hour later after I first tested it

Nope, at a Ph of 7.5 that's pretty much where it stops being effective. For max effectiveness you see values online anywhere from 4 to 6 as there's plenty of killing power in that range.

You don't really want to go lower because that when you're going to start offgassing chlorine. You've got to make up a new solution every day because the stability of bleach falls with its pH.
Is that a non rinse? Have you used it and got a solution?

Is that a non rinse? Have you used it and got a solution?
Yeah - Charlie Talley's 80ppm version. I used to use it all the time but then had problems with the 'thin' bleach I bought not being thin any more and I ended up with chlorophenol problems in a string of batches.

I bought cheap bottles from Morrisons and Asda and both of them would foam when you shook the bottle. After ruining a few jumpers from bleach and those problems I gave up and got Star San and I hope I never have to go back to bleach.

I did a calculator for the solution that I've added below.

Attachments

• Bleach no rinse calcs - barebones.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 170
Looking at your calculator I must be well out, the solution I followed was based on 5% bleach but I noticed in your calculator Tesco thin bleach (which I have) is 1.5%

I couldn't see the percentage on the bottle, probably rushing too much aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back