Carbonating Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim-b

Reaction score
Hello All

New to the homebrew thing, i`ve made 5 different ciders/perry`s from fruit from trees, got it all done now, but just at the bottling stage, i`m wanting to do have of each mix carbonated.
I have been told to add 1 tablespoon of sugar to each bottle.
Once i have topped up the bottles, do i shake the bottle to mix the sugar, or just leave it at the bottom?

Thanks in advance

LOL dont use 1 tablespoon of sugar unless you are wearing a kevlar suit!
Its half to 1 tea spoon per bottle m8 and you dont need to shake the bottles.
Just put them somewhere warm for a week or so then cool or fridge them for a week or so before drinking or testing for carbonation.
I tend to bottle mine and cap them but also use an ex screwtop type of bottle ie miller bottles = i use those to test the carbonation rather than waste a cap. :cheers:

Cheers,
And erm, poo, i1ve already bottled up 40 with a teaspoon in each, still got to do 160, they are in plastic 1/2 litre bottles with screw caps on, but i`ve not completly filled them.
Guessing its time to wear a waterproof suit whenever i go into check them :shock:
Cheers

Plastic bottles are much safer than glass, they will withstand more pressure and you can always ease the cap slightly to vent a bit of pressure if they are feeling too taut.

Thanks for the advice, just one more question, i`m bottling a load into glass wine bottles, BUT no sugar, i`m wanting these still.
Once bottled, how long should i leave them before enjoying all the hard work!! :cheers:
Thanks

The best way to bottle us to use 7g of sugar per litre. Calculate how much sugar you need for the cider weigh it out and mix it with a little boiling water. Now add this to the cider and give it a good stir making sure you don't splash it about. No just bottle as normal. No trying to get a teaspoon of sugar into a narrow neck.

graysalchemy said:
The best way to bottle us to use 7g of sugar per litre. Calculate how much sugar you need for the cider weigh it out and mix it with a little boiling water. Now add this to the cider and give it a good stir making sure you don't splash it about. No just bottle as normal. No trying to get a teaspoon of sugar into a narrow neck.

Great tip graysalchemy! note made & will be putting this into practice on my next batch. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back