Carbonation drops advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Reaction score
Hi all,

Novice doing my first brew. Posted recently and got some helpful advice, now I'm after some advice for the bottling up stage.

The brew kit (st peters IPA) says to add half teaspoon of sugar per pint. I've been given crafty fox carbonation drops which says to add 2 drops per 500ml. That seems like more that half teaspoon to me.

Basically looking for advice on whether I should use 2 drops, 1 drop, or just use half teaspoon of sugar and if so is just normal granulated sugar ok or do I need to get brewing sugar?

If it helps, the bag of carbonation drops contains 80 drops and weighs 160g, so 2g per drop (don't know if they come in different sizes). Ingredients just says sugar, glucose. Will be bottling up in 500ml plastic bottles.

Thanks

You can use ordinary table sugar for bottling. I hardly ever bottle but use 1 level teaspoon of sugar per bottle. I put a clean funnel in the bottle then get a teaspoon of sugar and wipe the teaspoon with a knife to level it off so it is pretty consistent.
Ps I have never used carbonation drops but somebody will come along and give advise on them

I use the 2.5ml side of a child's medicine spoon fill it with table sugar perfect carbonation for an ipa works every time

When I bottle carbed I made up a sugar solution of 60g sugar to 100ml water and then used a calpol syringe to squirt 1ml of sugar syrup per 100ml of bottle volume. Just adjust those ratios to get the required amount of sugar in the bottle.

A IPA should be carbonated to two volumes of Co2 ,which works out at approx 4.5g of cane sugar/carbonation drops per litre .
I use a set or proper kitchen measuring spoons to measure out my sugar for bottling.
Heaped half a teaspoon is perfect for a pale ale, level half for a proper ale/bitter and a level teaspoon for ipa and saisons.

Attachments

• 16385554907383665472201897168149.jpg
    16385554907383665472201897168149.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 12
I always used to use normal table sugar, it’s cheap and it does the job nicely!

depending on your style, a teaspoon maybe a bit much…

there are plenty of calculators out there to work it out.

Also, top tip…

dissolve it first in some water and use a syringe to dispense the same amount into each bottle! ;-)

I use 5g sugar sachets. You can pick up a few extra when visiting a coffee shop or buy a catering box of 1000 Tate & Lyle sachets for under a tenner.

Latest posts

Back