Carboy cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondz

Regular.
Reaction score
I've inherited an old 10 gallon glass carboy - beautiful thing - that was originally used for transport of acids, and then later as a bottle garden. What's a good way of cleaning it so that it's ready for brewing in?

Ah great, that's easy enough, thanks! Also: does anyone have any idea where to get a drilled bung for this beast? It has a 68mm-ish neck.

leondz said:
Ah great, that's easy enough, thanks! Also: does anyone have any idea where to get a drilled bung for this beast? It has a 68mm-ish neck.

Might be worth asking H&G.

Failing that, there are ones of that size on ebay, but you'll have to drill the hole yourself.

Would a standard airlock let the pressure out fast enough from a 10 gallon brew?

I have just embarked on my first brew and so have had a look at my demijohn as it will be needed in a few days time. It is quite dirty and needs a good clean on the inside.

Is oxyclean the only way, or can I just use a strong solution of VWP left in the DJ for a day or so? I don't have a bottle brush that can reach the bottom so need to do it the chemical way. :wha:

i brought a couple of DJ's from a car boot sale last week and one of those was slightly green on the inside. What i did was put a week solution of bleach in and left it over night, and the next day it was spotless. If you do use bleach just remember to give it a very good wash out afterwards.

@davesiv - once again thanks for the tip. I think i'll try your method. And will *definitely* be rinsing the DJ out afterwards!

I used 'Oxyclean' in one i found in my loft, must have been there for about 20 years. Just put a teaspoon of it in, filled with mostly boiling water and left for a few hours. I really couldnt believe how clean it got, like new.

a handful of uncooked rice and some warm water, shaken vigorously does the trick! surprisingly effective. then sanitise.

SheyMouse said:
I have just embarked on my first brew and so have had a look at my demijohn as it will be needed in a few days time. It is quite dirty and needs a good clean on the inside.

Is oxyclean the only way, or can I just use a strong solution of VWP left in the DJ for a day or so? I don't have a bottle brush that can reach the bottom so need to do it the chemical way. :wha:

Slightly OT, DJs rather than carboys. My neighbour gave me 3 clear glass DJs and warned that there was some thin residues at the bottom and just below the shoulder.

I soaked overnight with bleach solution, tried bottle-brushes but no luck. I thought I'd try half a cupfull of small smooth pebbles plus 2 cups of water (no detergent). It worked beautifully after just 3 minutes of firm circular rotations - allowing centrefugal forces to scour the inside of the glass.

One of the djs looked clean but was duller than the other two, but 3 minutes with the pebbles, restored it to its former glory. Obviously, smooth stones need to be used. I was fortunate that my wife was out, so I borrowed half a cup from her gemstone collection. The best size I believe to work best, are between 7 and 14mm, but I'm open to suggestions. Here's a pic:-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd22 ... G_2387.jpg

Bertie

Latest posts

Back