Cask Ale from An American Standpoint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had a flat pint and ive been suppin beers shoulder to shoulder with the beardy wierdy CAMRA types for a while now..

granted you get a head out of the funny end of spout things up north and a pint down this neck may be liquid to the rim, but there is always life in the beer. (never sussed out why the so called tight fisted northerners ;) want co2 in the top of their glasses n not beer??)

Thing is OP sounds like your well on the way to pouring your own perfect pint..
depends on the yeasts but if you cool the beer to the minimum the yeast will work at conditioning, you could encourage more condition to be retained without over priming, a poly pin wont hold a lot of pressure so i would avoid priming with a similar quantity you would use in a pressure barrel.

I think you will be very happy with the results from the pump/polypin combo and moderate priming for condition.

Fil said:
a poly pin wont hold a lot of pressure

A few photos pre-hand pump days when I primed. Kept plenty of gas right to the last pint. The photo of the pint was the second form last out of the pin.

5252239842_caa6c5d170.jpg

5251319649_ca932cbe0c_o.jpg

5251622199_9897c5c745_o.jpg

evanvine said:
Bloody hell, that looks like it's about to take off or go Bang! :eek:
Thought polypins were meant to collapse in on themselves as you extracted the beer. :wha:
They were Primed :doh: . . .When full you have to spend a lot of time venting them . . . Or pulling pints at regular intervals

So if your having them with a beer engine you don't need to prime?

sam.k said:
So if your having them with a beer engine you don't need to prime?

I don't prime with the hand pump as I find the "pressure" created by the pump, without a sparkler give all the like and conditon I need. This suits me, other may want more carbonation

That's intresting, I think the wife would kill me if I installed a beer engine in the kitchen.

Fil said:
(never sussed out why the so called tight fisted northerners ;) want co2 in the top of their glasses n not beer??)

1. Because sacrificing that bit of beer for the head keeps the rest of the pint carbonated throughout drinking.
2. We can afford to let that bit of the pint go and still get better value as everything is cheaper up here.
3. The slightly smaller measure makes it quicker to drink minimising the chance of the wife finding out that you're not just walking the whippet.
4. Everything needs some sort of topping, hence pastry pie lids, dumplings and flat caps.

boozy_shoes said:
The slightly smaller measure makes it quicker to drink minimising the chance of the wife finding out that you're not just walking the whippet.

In the good old days you got oversized pint glasses anyway.

A sparkled beer also gets the aroma flowing. Taste is a two part process not only the gustatory perception on the tongue but also the olfactory stimulation from the aroma. hence sparkled beer has more flavour :grin: :grin: .

No but drinking vast quantities of beer to test your gustatory perception will cause wind. :tongue:

boozy_shoes said:
Fil said:
(never sussed out why the so called tight fisted northerners ;) want co2 in the top of their glasses n not beer??)

1. Because sacrificing that bit of beer for the head keeps the rest of the pint carbonated throughout drinking.

Someone's been spinning you a line there. Creating the head takes a decent amount of CO2 out of the beer. A non-headed pint from the same line will always be fizzier at the bottom. Simple fact is it's all aesthetics, a lovely tight creamy-white head just looks so appetising and everyone knows that if it looks great, it tastes better.

boozy_shoes said:
2. We can afford to let that bit of the pint go and still get better value as everything is cheaper up here.

True. :)

boozy_shoes said:
3. The slightly smaller measure makes it quicker to drink minimising the chance of the wife finding out that you're not just walking the whippet.

Very true! :lol:

boozy_shoes said:
4. Everything needs some sort of topping, hence pastry pie lids, dumplings and flat caps.

F**king gospel! :rofl:

boozy_shoes said:
Dont forget a coat for the aforementioned whippet :D

calumscott said:
boozy_shoes said:
Very true! :lol:
Yeah . . . but the foam on the moustache / upper lip gives away where you have been walking the whippet ;)

Latest posts

Back